25. Learning Curves and Experiences

"A Dagashiya?"

It was time for them to go back to the dorms, so as a final stop-by for souvenirs, they found themselves at the old Japanese Sweets store two doors down from the cafe.

Apparently, Grandma Kiyo has taken after this shop because the owner, decades older than herself, passed away recently. Since Eda hadn't been there to open the cafe, she took in a new endeavour here. She's moved in here, too, just to make things easier. So while Eda and Shinomiya stayed the week in the cafe, Granny had been living here and blissfully away from the chaotic chefs.

"Huh? Did no one tell you?"

Shinomiya had been surprised when he realized the storekeeper's name was Eda Kiyo.

"This is Granny Kiyo. She's my mother."

"Wha— what??" Shinomiya was baffled. "Why do you call your mother baa-chan? And she's still young, does she really qualify as a Grandma?" he said with all seriousness and Granny rewarded him with a flattered laugh.

"It's complicated," Eda said.

"...huh?"

"Anyways," Eda reached for the shelves, "Granny, I'm taking these! And, we left some stuff in the fridge, so eat it before it goes bad. I asked Rase-cchi to take away the leftover cake for her daycare, so open the door for her if she comes for the key, okay?"

"Yes, yes," Granny Kiyo sighed, "sometimes I feel you're the parent between us, Fumi dear. You're much too independent."

Eda huffed. "You raised me like this!"

Shinomiya watched with fascination. Even someone as meek and wimpy as Eda could be bold and snarky in an environment he was familiar with— it didn't make sense to him that Eda could roll through E grades in school when he was naturally so upright and expressive.

Well, he supposed the wonders of humanity preceded his expectations.

-

"Oh! Jou-san, you're cooking today?"

"I usually do," Jouichirou said from the other side of the counter. "I was just on break for my work trip and well, a kid took over my grill, so I let him have it."

Shinomiya was flustered. "I- I am so sorry??"

"Don't fall for it, he's messing with you," Uncle Yukihira sighed. "Everyone in town loved having you around, Kojirou boy. Come back anytime, alright? We'll kick Jouichirou out anytime if you want us to."

Now Shinomiya's very flustered.

"N- no??? Please don't! I mean, I'm honoured, but—!!"

They laughed at him and he couldn't help but sigh. They're just messing with him. But it was fun to spend the week cooking for a store with minimal help from Tamako and Uncle Yukihira. He'd never done something so labour-intensive in his life, and he's never had to learn so many recipes last minute before. They were fun to follow though, since they were simpler than what he was used to.

It felt like he was cooking at home for his Ma again, and that's always nice.

Now though, Jouchirou had some soup simmering on the stove, and the thickly-sliced noodles went into the boil.

Looks like it's udon for lunch.

He's actually never tasted any of Jouichirou's cooking this week. Joucihirou had tasted plenty of his cooking, though, and his pointers for multitasking the many grills and the trick to expel the nerves when you're overwhelmed was immensely helpful in the horrible weekend rush yesterday.