twelve

❁❁❁

Winston State University was still on lockdown, bringing a lot of tension among the students. People moped around and continued to complain to the dean about their rights. There were petitions and protests on campus that caused chaos. Men and women were upset about their homecoming being canceled due to the murder of Jerome Montgomery.

Life continued. However, the murder remained a mystery.

"I need you all to get this case over with—quickly," The dean told the detectives sitting inside the conference room. Detective Jones and Detective O'Brien worked for the Syracuse Police Department. The news about Jerome's murder hit national television—the case was being discussed in several states, making Dean Mitchell nervous. He knew that he would receive negative publicity once the information went worldwide. It was his responsibility to ensure students were safe while on campus.

As expected, the detectives were in the process of investigating. The area of the murder was examined, the surveillance tapes were watched, and students were interrogated. Jones and O'Brien figured the witnesses were the key to finding the suspect. However, no one could point out the person who committed the crime. Most mentioned the shooting happening quickly and not having time to view the scene.

Detective O'Brien leaned on the desk and ran his thumb across his beard. He placed his icy blue eyes on the dean and said, "We're doing our best." He sighed in frustration, adding, "The students aren't telling us anything, and the cameras are...not helping at all."

"Right." Detective Jones agreed. "As of right now, this case is at a standstill."

"Standstill..." The dean replied, adjusting his tie. He grew closer to the police detectives while wearing a scowl on his chubby face. It was clear he was upset about the current results. He assumed the detectives would be able to do a quick inspection and point out the suspect, which would keep the tension and gossip off Winston and, most importantly, himself.

"Listen to me." Dean Mitchell spoke sternly, giving each man an equal amount of attention. "Listen to me carefully. I need this case resolved by the end of the week. Do you understand me? By the end of the week."

O'Brien held a perplexed expression on his face. He didn't like the dean's tone and demand. It wouldn't be possible to wrap the case up by the end of the week. There was still so much to do.

"It's not possible." Detective O'Brien spoke up. He was a natural-born ginger, and his hair was styled in a buzzcut.

Dean Mitchell eyed the redhead closely. He furrowed his thick eyebrows and muttered, "What?"

"We have to follow a specific procedure." Officer Jones spoke up. He sat in the chair, jotting down a few notes. He was a portly-built man, similar to the dean.

"There's documentation," O'Brien added, trying to think of the entire procedure. He wanted the dean to understand their job and the tasks they had to complete. "Also, the forensic team has to come out—for the second time and examine the Millard dormitory."

Dean Mitchell held a stunned expression.

"They were rushed off the scene," Jones added.

"Alright..." Dean Mitchell pushed out hesitantly. "Well, get on with your jobs. I just need everything to go back to normal. Investigate, interrogate, and examine. Do whatever you need to do. Just don't go sticking your noses where they don't belong."

Detective O'Brien and Jones glanced at each other before focusing on the dean.

❁❁❁