fourteen

[Imagine Summer's body the way you want. If she's extra large to you then okay. She's extra large. Don't go by my visual. I chose those pictures because Summer is curvy but she is also athletic. She plays a sport.]

❁❁❁

Syracuse had a small doughnut shop about three buildings down from the soul food restaurant. It was located inside a small building that could easily be overlooked. Summer liked doughnuts, so she decided to check the place out by herself.

When she walked inside, she realized the place was empty. The young girl glanced at her Apple Watch, checking the time. It read 10:36 A.M. Instead of thinking the worse. She decided to make up an excuse in her head.

It's only empty because people are at work and school. Summer said in her mind as she stepped over to the counter.

She was dressed in a regular graphic shirt with sweatpants. On her feet were a pair of grey Crocs. Summer's natural hair was combed into a bushy yet curly ponytail.

"How can I help you?" The Caucasian cashier asked Summer with a neutral facial expression. She was a brunette who wore her hair down. An apron covered her white top and denim jeans. Her nametag read Lindsay. She wore chipped, pink polish on her fingernails.

"Can I get two glazed twisters and one Boston cream?" Summer stated, placing her order. "Oh, and add an iced chai tea with that."

"What size?" Lindsay questioned her while tapping on the monitor.

"A small."

"Will that be all?"

"Yes."

Summer paid the cashier and immediately reached for her ringing phone. When she looked at the caller ID, she realized it was her mom calling. Hesitantly, she answered the call and prepared to hear her Christie's voice.

"Summer."

"Hey, mom," Summer replied smoothly while taking a seat at the table. She waited patiently for her order. The employees wasted no time packaging her doughnuts, but she had to wait for her drink.

"Chey told me she called you, and the police popped up. What is going on out there?"

Oh, wow...Cheyenne. Summer said to herself.

Summer figured her mom would call and confront her about the sudden mishap. Cheyenne was extremely close with her mother. It was no surprise that she went and ran her mouth.

Before she could speak, a sigh pushed past her lips.

"It was just some detectives," Summer replied in a low voice. "They were asking questions about this guy I know."

"Before you left, I told you to watch the people you hang around." Christie started her lecture. "You're going to mess around and get into some serious trouble and guess what? I can't help you get out of it."

Summer knew this would be her mom's exact words. She knew Christie would assume she was hanging with the wrong crowd. She always painted Summer to be some dimwit when she had plenty of sense—she knew right from wrong.

"You're assuming I'm hanging with the wrong crowd because of what Cheyenne told you." Summer countered with some sass. Christie didn't catch on, but she did have some words for her daughter.

"Because I know you." Christie retorted. "I got calls from your high school multiple times, Summer. You were always in some mess."

No, I was not. Summer said to herself while rolling her eyes.