sixteen

[I'm late but I'm here. 🐢]

Rain wasn't expected, but it did show up. A thunder roaring could be heard nearby as the first set of raindrops kissed the car's windshield. They were small and very hesitant, nothing too severe.

The car was quiet. Only the sounds of music humming from the radio could be heard. Summer sat back in her seat while playing solitaire on her iPhone. There wasn't much she could do inside. Conversing with Grant was cool, but she didn't want to talk his head off. Instead, she decided to match his vibe and just listen to the music.

Summer was getting used to Grant. She'd grown accustomed to him since they had worked together. The pair would have minor conversations while working on the clock.

She glanced his way and realized he was a true lover of R&B. Their entire car ride was filled with old and new music. He played multiple artists—both male and female. Not once did he play rap, and she was cool with that.

Musiq Soulchild's Love went off, and Brent Faiyaz's All Mine immediately started to play.

Suddenly, Summer could feel chill bumps populating her arms. This was her first time hearing the song. For some reason, the intro was just too nice and catchy. She focused on the music, wanting to understand what Brent was serenading about.

All Mine, all mine, yeah [it's alright]

Summer found herself bobbing her head softly to the music. She glanced at Grant and his mysteriousness. He was too busy watching the road to check her out.

We both still young, so what's the rush?

The night is young and we not drunk enough

You come around if I don't do too much

We had our downs but we had way more ups, let's make love

That be the reason that you always hit me up [I swear]

You like the way I fuck cause I get rough

You told me your new man don't make you nut, that's a damn shame—

Suddenly, Summer felt a little sheepish at the words Brent was singing. She couldn't relate to the lyrics but felt the need to look off in awkwardness. The woman placed her attention on the window. She realized the rain had started to pour down immensely.

Grant wasted no time flickering the wipers on. They moved rhythmically, trying their best to clear the view, but the rain continued to pour down in torrents, creating a blurry outlook. The drumming of the rain against the car roof echoed a rapid, almost hypnotic beat.

The man drove further until he noticed a gas station. A few cars were parked. People were getting gas, buying items, or doing both. Grant parked by one of the gas pumps and unbuckled his seatbelt. He checked his surroundings before placing his attention on Summer.

"Do you want anything out of the store?" Grant questioned her sincerely.

Summer was not the type of girl who turned down offers. She nodded and said, "Some water, please."

Grant furrowed his brows before asking, "You don't want anything else? Something to snack on?"

"Um..." Summer hummed as she trailed off. For some reason, her mind went blank. She thought it was unfair since she'd been thinking about food since she got on the road with Grant. "I'll take a bag of white cheddar popcorn and a pack of Starbursts."

Grant nodded and immediately left the car. He instructed Summer to lock the doors until he returned. She followed his instructions while getting an earful of someone singing. It was one of those older songs from the 70s. Summer wasn't sure, but she'd heard it a lot while growing up. Unfortunately, she didn't know the singer's name since no one introduced her to the artist.