twenty-two

[Hi. 🐢]

The campus was relatively quiet. The partying came to a halt during the week of midterms. Most students were stuck inside their dorms, cramming for their upcoming tests. Nothing was happening, and everyone moved around slowly, almost like zombies. It reminded Summer of an apocalypse.

Instead of complaining, she decided to enjoy the peaceful ambiance. Summer spent time cramming herself. She sat at her desk studying anatomy, calculus, and chemistry all day. Studying intensively worked out in her favor—Summer managed to complete her anatomy and chemistry exams effortlessly. They were taken on Blackboard, so she received her grade immediately after submitting them. Summer passed them with flying colors. She breathed out in relief. However, she couldn't allow herself to relax. She still had to take her calculus test.

"Where you at?" Trinity questioned her friend.

"...I'm getting a smoothie." Summer murmured while pushing her straw inside her cup. She ordered herself a green smoothie with fruits and veggies.

"Oh, really?" Trinity raised her voice. "Come by my dorm."

"Girl." Summer pushed out as she looked around the shop. A few people were inside, but she wasn't bothered by them. "I want to lay down."

"No." Trinity objected with a headshake. "Bring your ass to my dorm. It's something I want to show you."

Summer blew out air from her nostrils. Instead of objecting, she decided to do as her friend instructed. The young woman tried leaving the shop but was hounded by a group of men dressed in similar outfits. Summer assumed they were frat brothers—judging from their varsity jackets and matching haircuts. They were indeed in a fraternity. Summer wasn't sure which one. She was trying her best to keep up with the Zetas.

One of the men stepped away from the group to approach Summer. She assumed he was older due to his aura and appearance. The man sported a full beard, and that somewhat aged him. Overall, he had a decent face. The man had a beige complexion and brown eyes. His hair was blonde—she figured it was his natural hair color since it matched his eyebrows and goatee.

A classic Debarge. Summer assumed—thinking he was a biracial.

"Damn. Can I have some?" He quizzed her with his resonant voice. It caught Summer off guard. She wasn't expecting for his voice to be so...strong. It was honestly attractive to her. However, his question threw her off. It was not only cringy, but it was annoying.

Summer cocked her head to the side and eyed him curiously. She tightened her grip around her cup and pushed out, "You're asking me if you can have some of my smoothie." She narrowed her eyes, saying, "I don't know you...I don't know where your mouth been."

His frat boys stood there watching in amazement. They were shocked to see Summer handling his flirtatious manner well. Judging from her aura and mannerisms, they assumed her confidence was high. She didn't seem too easy for their boy to pull.

"We can get to know each other." He rasped before biting down on his bottom lip. "How about we start with names? Mine is Andrew." The man eyed her from top to bottom before saying, "And you are?"

Summer didn't want to give him her name. Honestly, she wasn't in the mood to be entertained by men. She was still recovering from being verbally and physically abused by Rashad.