twenty

[heyyy! enjoy! 🩵]

Quietness took over the room after realizing another party had entered the house. Summer and Cheyenne stood there staring at each other momentarily. Quickly, Cheyenne grabbed the ultrasound and concealed it. Their bodies went stilt as the audible noise of jingling keys grew louder.

"Why are all these lights on?"

The girls were familiar with the high-pitched voice. In fact, they grew up hearing that same shrill for years. The tone was very annoying and traumatizing—emotionally.

Summer took in a deep breath and placed her eyes on the threshold. Christie stood there wearing pink scrubs. Her natural hair was pressed out and hanging past her shoulders. She carried a Stanley cup, lunch bag, and purse.

"You're home so early..." Cheyenne trailed off, placing her pupils on her mom.

Christie didn't bother to speak because she was trying to figure out why Summer was home. With furrowed brows, she balanced her weight on her left leg before parting her lips to speak.

"What are you doing here?"

"Um..." Summer trailed off before speaking. She ran her hand across her arm and pushed out, "Rashad's father passed away and...I came out here to support him."

Christie and Cheyenne wore stunned expressions while staring at Summer. They had no idea Rashad's father had passed away. Summer didn't bother to tell them. She didn't say anything because she didn't think they would care about the passing.

"So, is that why you're really out here?" Cheyenne questioned her sister suspiciously as she eyed her face for the millionth time, examining her sister's bruise.

Summer nodded and said, "The funeral is over, though. It was Saturday."

"Where have you been staying all of this time?" Christie decided to interrogate her daughter while setting her purse on the counter.

"I was in Newark," Summer answered her mom. She noticed the angry expression on Christie's face. She didn't seem happy. Instead of showing elatedness, she wore a scowl.

"Cheyenne, go to your room." Christie directed her younger daughter. "I need to talk to Summer."

"What? I have to leave?" Cheyenne frowned as she grabbed her documents.

"Yes, you have to leave." Christie tossed her a stern look before glancing at Summer. "This is an adult conversation. You're only a child. You don't need to hear this."

Be for real. Summer said in her mind as she looked from her mom to Cheyenne. Christie had a lot of faith in Cheyenne for no reason. Summer thought it was funny how her mom painted her sister to be this angelic, virgin teenager when she was the total opposite of that.

Why does Cheyenne have to leave? She has more experience in life than me. Summer continued to speak in her head with disbelief.

"What's in your hand?" Christie asked her daughter with her eyes glued on the abortion files.

Cheyenne held the papers tighter and said, "Just papers from school."

"Let me see." Christie held her hand out, wanting to check the papers out.

Summer's eyebrows raised in curiosity. She wondered how her sister would wiggle out of the situation.

"Ma," Cheyenne whined. "This is just homework. It's nothing major." She didn't bother to give her mom the papers. Cheyenne left the kitchen swiftly while holding her breath.