twenty-one

The Audi drove through the neighborhood with ease. The roads were smooth with no potholes, which was great for Grant's car. He was thankful his vehicle wouldn't suffer the wrath of a bumpy road. He tapped a few buttons on his dashboard, letting the seats warm.  

"You don't seem alright..." Grant trailed off as he focused on the road. With his foot on the gas pedal and one hand steering the wheel, he managed to peek at Summer, inspecting her side profile. She had a chubby face, which worked well for her.

Suddenly, his eyes narrowed into slits as he slowed down the car. Summer realized the ride was decelerating. She glanced at Grant, who wore a scowl on his face.

"Why are we slowing down?" She questioned him while trying her best to remain calm. Summer could feel her anxiety rising. She was already stressed about the unexpected text messages she received from an anonymous person. "What happened?"

The Audi came to a complete stop. Grant parked and made Summer his focal point. He looked her way and asked, "What's that on your face?"

"What are you talking about?" Summer wore a puzzled expression on her face as she tried to figure out what he meant. She was confused by the whole situation.

"You have something on your face." He rasped while softly grabbing her chin and shifting it to get a clear view of her cheek. Grant nodded in confirmation as the anger in him riled. He didn't understand why he grew upset over a faint mark on her face—he wasn't sure where it came from, but Grant knew it wasn't a birthmark. He examined Summer's face so much that he became acquainted with every beauty mark embedded—the spot was new.

"Wait. That's not a spot. It's a bruise," Grant's voice rose in realization as he widened his eyes. He ran his thumb against her skin, ensuring it wasn't a smudge. "What happened?"

Summer moved away from his grip. She shook her head lightly, not wanting to explain what happened. Silently, she cursed herself out. She'd forgotten all about the bruise on her cheek. The woman was in such a rush to leave New Jersey. She didn't think about it.

"Nah, something happened." Grant pestered her. "Somebody put their hands on you." He assumed and immediately thought about her ex-boyfriend. It was a reason why she subliminally announced her breakup to Grant. He assumed her ex had hit her. "Did that nigga do this? He put his hands on you?"

She breathed out air, not answering him. Summer placed her eyes on the window. She tried her best to avoid eye contact with Grant. She could feel herself growing emotional. Summer didn't want to show him her gloomy side.

"I already know he did." Grant pushed out before placing his hand on the steering wheel. "You don't have to say anything."

Summer wasn't used to being vocal about her business. She felt she went overboard when she referred to Rashad as her ex to Grant.

"That shit ain't cool..." Grant trailed off with seriousness laced in his voice. He examined his dashboard with furrowed brows. Just that quick, he became frustrated with everything. Grant pressed the ignition button and pulled off shortly.

Domestic violence should always be taken seriously. Initially, Grant didn't know much about it because he didn't grow up in an abusive home. His parents had arguments, but they never led to fights. Nevertheless, Grant learned about the impact of domestic violence and how it affects not only the victims but also their friends and family members.

In the beginning, Grant was relieved to hear that Summer was no longer with her ex. It banished the fog of uncertainty. He and Summer decided to stay neutral and not cross their boundaries again. Of course, the agreement was difficult to follow. Grant was attracted to Summer, and being around her didn't make the situation better. He saw Rashad's elimination as a window of opportunity. Grant figured Summer's newfound freedom could give him more access to her.