eighteen

Summer decided to take a week-long break from school, during which she reached out to her teachers to explain her absence due to a family tragedy. Specifically, Rashad's father had passed away. In support, she left Syracuse and accompanied her boyfriend back to New Jersey. Throughout this period, Summer stayed at the residence of Rashad's older brother.

She was welcomed into Antoine's home. While Antoine had no issues with her staying there, his wife, Key, presented a different demeanor. Key stayed to herself, dedicating most of her time to cooking, cleaning, and attending to her children. She maintained a certain distance, leaving Summer perplexed as she couldn't quite understand the reason behind it.

Despite the hospitality extended to Summer, it couldn't quite shake off the gloomy atmosphere that hung around her. She'd never experienced staying with a man before, and this new chapter with Rashad brought unexpected challenges. Summer found herself navigating uncharted territory, realizing that living with someone revealed aspects of their personality she hadn't encountered before.

Though caring in some moments, Rashad displayed a controlling and rude side that caught Summer off guard. He often voiced opinions about how things should be done, and his criticisms sometimes bordered on insensitivity. Summer, being independent and used to making her own decisions, felt stifled by Rashad's overbearing nature.

As the week unfolded, Summer grappled with the realization that the person she thought she knew so well had layers she hadn't seen before. The challenges of living together unveiled both the strengths and weaknesses of their connection, prompting her to reflect on whether this experience would strengthen their bond or reveal irreconcilable differences.

They took a trip to Rashad's grandmother's house. His grandmother lived in a quaint house located in Newark. The exterior of the property displayed its age. She noticed the painting on the wooden panels had weathered over time, and the front porch creaked under their weight as they approached the entrance.

When Summer first entered the home, she was hit with an unpleasant aroma. The scent was a blend of old wood and mothballs. The house bore witness to decades of memories, yet it also carried a weight of sorrow, especially after the passing of Rashad's father.

The living room was a maze of furniture and knick-knacks, creating a sense of clutter and nostalgia. The furniture seemed very outdated. Summer noticed the worn-out armchairs and antique side tables, each holding its own history. The walls were adorned with faded family photographs, capturing moments from years ago.

The crowded atmosphere hinted at a touch of hoarding, with stacks of newspapers, old magazines, and trinkets that held sentimental value but had long lost their practical purpose. It was a challenge to navigate through the narrow pathways between the furniture, giving the space an intimate and almost cocoon-like feel.

Despite the crowded surroundings, the house had a sense of warmth and love. Rashad's grandmother, Sarah, was a resilient woman. She embraced them tightly and welcomed them by sharing stories of Rashad's father and their family's history.

"Earvin loved those pants," Sarah remarked, her gaze fixed on the photograph. Seated with her family, a cigarette lingered between her fingers. Despite being well into her seventies, she loved smoking cigarettes. "I had to burn those damn things."

"I remember them." One of Earvin's sisters pushed out as she held the photobook. "They were the tackiest pants I've ever seen."

There weren't many people in attendance, but a few people did stop by to visit Sarah a few days ago. Earvin's sisters, brothers, and their children were there to support Sarah and catch up with Rashad, who was back from Korea.

Everyone showed friendliness to Summer. They didn't show any signs of dislike toward her. She was grateful for their generosity. However, Summer wasn't comfortable. It was her first time meeting his grandmother and the rest of his family. Rashad didn't go around his paternal side, which is why she was being introduced now.