Chapter 5

April

It was late afternoon in New York City. The sky was turning in the colours of gold as I sat inside my car, way to Chinatown.

I pass streets that were busy with skaters spray painting the walls. I wonder how free that must have felt to just wander across the streets hanging out with your friends. I wish I could go and have fun like them.

Instead, I am here inside my car sitting with Mason and going to a fucking meeting. It's sucks, I know.

"Can you stop smoking in the car?" I yelled at him.

"No", He said without looking at me. "But you are welcome to join me."

I shook my head. He never listens to me. Why do I even expect him to? Only to give him a chance to make me more mad?

The car arrived in front of a Chinese Tower. It was a five-story tall building with red walls and hexagonal cones as roofs. I stepped out of the car and Mason followed behind me.

"Behave sober!" I ordered Mason and he replied with a snort. He is never sane, not even in a meeting.

We went inside the wooden doors. I expect to find traditional lamps and paintings. Instead, there were neon lights decorating the walls and yellow marble flooring. It almost looked like a modern hotel.

"Ni hao" The manager welcomed us. He was dressed in a red silk suit and glitter gel in his hair.

"We came from Harper Cooperative". Mason told the man.

"It's on the second floor, follow me". We followed him silently in front of a golden elevator.

There were two elevators, Each one for men and women. I frown, the hotel looks modern enough but the system can be called traditional. Clearly, there was no need if we are going on the same floor.

The manager signalled me to go inside the other one. I separated from Mason and clicked the button of 'for females' written on it. It arrived in a second. I stepped inside the elevator in silence.
The golden doors closed in front of me. I was alone in it. The lights dimmed and the lift started to move.

My heart skipped a beat as the lift shook. Instead, of moving up it was going down. No, No, Not Now. This ain't happening here. My hands were shaking. I can't think of anything else.

I am going into my 'Oblivion'.

I banged my hands against the metallic doors several times. My heart seems to come out of my chest. The fear tightening inside as I got trapped in here.

"I am stuck!"

"Help, Me!"

"Open the door, Please!"

The lift seemed to go deeper and deeper at a rapid speed. My heels slipped and I knocked my head to the side. Then the lights went out leaving me in the dark.

There was a click and the door opened to the same darkness. I fumbled for my phone and switched on the torch.

I was in a wide dark room. The temperature dropped awfully cold with a sick smell churning my stomach. I grasped my mouth to stop vomiting.

I moved my phone to find metal tables covered in thick dust with old and trash papers. I stepped forward to have a look at them, My hands were still shaking from cold and fear.

Anything can be a clue, I said to myself. This is the main principle of the games. I just need to find enough clues to solve the puzzle and step out alive. There are mostly three phases of an Oblivion:-