Chapter 7

April

It's Over. No Darling it's never over.

I jerked up from the bed grasping for air, my body stick in sweat. The same creepy voice. Another nightmare and I am shaking with the power tingling in my veins from the desire to rip this room apart. Why does it always end up like this?

It's the side effects of The Oblivion. It happens every fucking time. It grows like a virus makings me weak and yet powerful. I hate that it makes me vulnerable of the power inside me.

"Fuck!" I cursed and walked out of the bed which was precisely not mine. It's been three days since I end up at Kevin's all covered in blood needing a place to crash.

He thought I put a fight or got injured while practising my magic. He even helped me two stitches on my arm. Yeah, He is my best friend and it's hard to keep secrets from him. He found out somehow and thinks I am magically gifted or something. Little did he know about the deal.

I went to the living room, A dead party and sleeping Kevin on the couch. His dark blond hair shinning in the neon blue light. This guy is the only reason I had a life in my college and I love him for that.

He is my best friend and always will be but never more than that. Once we were so close that we almost fell in love. He did want me but I couldn't do that. Not with my manic telekinetic abilities and my life always on threat.

I could never give him that. Sometimes it hurts that I cannot love anyone. The deal took everything from me, my childhood, my life.

I opened the fridge and drank the chilled cold water. "Hey, You awake?" Kevin called out yawning.

"That's what I should say. Your drunk friends all gone?"

"Sam and Tia are still there in the backyard doing their business, You wanna join?" He raised his eyebrows and giggled.

I rolled my eyes, "Let's get out of here".

"Another party, I am ready". He exclaimed.

It took me five minutes to change from borrowed clothes to a black jacket and take my car on the damp rainy roads. It's 3 am, The perfect time for New York Downtown dramas.

"So when are you gonna go home?" Kevin asked me while texting, Inviting company I guess.

"Tomorrow maybe," I mumbled. It is not that anyone will care to see the horrible cut on my arm or load me with questions for leaving office meetings for three days. But the fact that my family will behave awfully normal. Nothing will change for me, the same people and boring meetings.

Kevin and everyone are a distraction from all the guilty memories. The fear on Gwen's face when I slit her throat or the curse of being a murderer and all bloody red haunts my every breath. 

"April!!" Kevin jolted me from my thought. Oh My God!, We are about to crash. I turned the wheel and pulled on the break but it didn't stop. It rounded up on the street and was about to crash when I heard an alarm go through the street. My head jerked up. It's not happening.

I immediately forced all my energy into the car. It halted and stopped. I was shaking, my hands almost broke off the car handle. The blue street light flashing from the window. Hell No.

I turned to find Kevin. For a second I thought he will be not there but he was. "Are you planning to kill us?" He yelled but stopped when he realized what I did. "Oh My God!"

"Sorry, Just thinking" I huffed out ignoring his wide eyes at me. I looked at the window, screaming blue lights in the background. Then it happened. Again.

A black car sneered past us. Two bodyguards came out  dressed in white and balck. They were holding big guns and a heavy black bag at there backs. A tall woman dressed in white with a golden label of Phantom on the coat came out.

"Stay here, Check the tires. I am just coming" I said to Kevin, he gave me a concerned look but didn't deny me. He knows this is not the type of situation he should get involved in.

The woman smirked at me when she saw me getting out of the car. She was forty if I could guess right. Her jet black hair and spicy red lipstick gave the perfect expression of crookedness.

"Camille, What do you want?" I whispered looking into the same brown eyes that I hate the most.

"My goodness, You have all grown up. Bold and strong. As solid as I wanted. And I saw the work you did. Perfect." Her sharp voice piercing in my ears.

"Thanks to you" I smiled sardonically. "And you didn't change at all. The same crooked face and wicked voice as all those years before. But I can see few wrinkles, rest all you are the same".

Camille grinned with the same crookedness with which I have known her. She is the one who made me sign the agreement with Phantom six years ago. She is the one who ruined my life. And now she is back with a purpose not known to me. But I am damn sure whatever it is, its not good.

"April darlings, I am not here to spar with you. I am here to congratulate you on your promotion".

"What do you mean? Are you not satisfied with what you have done. Or you're just surprised to see me alive".

Camille smiled, and this time it was a proud smile. Like she had achieved something to see me alive. "Congratulations, April Valentine. You have passed the tests. You are selected to serve for a greater good."

"You are now called as The Ghost of April."

"What the fuck are you talking about?" She came forward and gave me a glass brooch with the name of Phantom.

"You will see. Very soon you will".