XII : Family Christmas

Saturday, 25th December 2021

"Merry Christmas, my love."

   "Merry Christmas Aunt Christine!"

   Christine slowly opened her eyes one at a time, completely surprised by the scene before her. Scott and Summer, dressed in matching pyjamas and caps, were staring down at her, both beaming in excitement.

   With a sigh, Christine rolled down the blanket till it was at her waist, revealing pyjamas which matched with theirs. "Merry Christmas. This is not at all how I envisioned my Christmas morning. I thought I'd wake up before you guys."

   Scott leaned down and gave her a quick kiss on the lips. Christine didn't fail to notice the embarrassed expression on Summer's face. It made her chuckle, and Scott gave her a strange look. She shook her head at him, trying to say it was nothing, though she was still chuckling.

   Deciding to brush it off, Scott said, "It's not entirely your fault. You were up practically all night."

   That was true. Christine had gotten the opportunity to sleep only when it was well into the early morning hours, because she was busy making preparations for today's celebration. Scott had been in a really festive mood this holiday, and had decided to act as host for a family Christmas celebration.

   His parents were coming over, albeit their several attempts to convince Scott to just celebrate with them at the family home. Christine had invited Maria (who was going to come along with Josh) and Connor (she felt he had a right to be there, if only for Summer's sake).

   Christine sat up, and put her legs into her slippers which were at the corner of the bed. She extended her arms to her niece and Summer ran into them enthusiastically, and she squeezed her in a tight hug. She always felt so bad for the little girl. She didn't deserve the situation she had been born into. Her parents could barely manage a cordial relationship amongst themselves, and all she had with both of them was scheduled visits. Her father didn't want to be burdened by the responsibility she came with, and her mother chose her boyfriend over her relationship with her own flesh and blood.

   She put her nose in Summer's hair. "You know I love you right?"

   Summer looked up at her with beaming eyes, giggling. "You tell me all the time." She then turned to Scott. "But not as much as Uncle Scott."

   Christine rolled her eyes as Scott carried Summer into his arms, so she was resting on his waist. They were always together, so much that it made Christine jealous, but she would never give Scott the satisfaction of admitting it.

  "It's present time!" Scott announced, and Summer joined in with his squeals of celebration. Christine followed them to the living room, where the majestic Christmas tree which had been decorated in blue and white stood, with parceled presents under it.

   It had been Christine's suggestion to not stick with the customary red and white for the day, but to rather do it in blue and white, which was something she had been dying to try. Luckily for her, Scott had agreed.

   With Summer still on his hip, Scott retrieved a little parcel from under the tree and gave it to her. "This is for you, my princess."

   Summer took the box from his hand and slowly undid it, to reveal a pack of ribbons in various colours. She squealed in excitement and gave Scott a peck on the cheek that was facing her. "Thank you, uncle. I love it."

   "I knew you would. I heard you complaining about your favourite colours of ribbons getting missing, and I couldn't figure out which colours they were, so I decided to get you all."