XIII : Interaction

Sunday, 5th March 2023

Coming back from work, Christine opened the door to the house, closed it behind her and threw her keys in the bowl by the door. She was so exhausted. It had been quite the hectic day at work today.

   Removing her jacket, she called, "Summer! I'm home." When no one replied, she walked further into the house while rubbing her fingers across her temple. She suspected she would soon have a headache. All of the stress she was going through wasn't good for the baby. She had to take some time for herself to rest.

   "Summer? Scott? Anyone home?" Scott hadn't informed her of any plans for the day, so she had expected he and Summer to be home. She took out her phone to check if he had left a text which she had been too busy to notice, but was stopped by the sound of Summer's voice.

   "Why did you leave me, Aunt Christine? You said you'd always be here for me. You lied." Summer stood on the third step of the staircase, with Scott and a model Christine recognised from one of the fashion magazines she was subscribed to.

   Scott had his arm around the model's shoulder in a way that made Christine uncomfortable, and it must have shown on her face because he said, "You gave up on us. What did you expect me to do? Wait around for you?" He scoffed. "Never! I was too good for you, anyways."

   Instantly, she began to cry. It was moments like this that she hated how easily tears came to her eyes at the slightest inconvenience. Body shaking from her sobs, she said, "That's not true. I didn't abandon you people. I would never abandon you people. You are my home."

   She walked to them with her arms outstretched, but Summer shocked her when she loudly shouted in her face, "Liar! Liar! Liar! Liar! Liar!"

   Her screams were so ear piercing that Christine had to put her hands over her ears to stop herself from hearing the unpleasant noise.

   "No!" She screamed and jerked up in bed, beads of sweat running down her forehead, shaking her head. Thank God! It was all just a dream. Breathing heavily, she looked around and immediately remembered where she was. If only this part could end up being a dream too.

   She heard the sound of the door being opened, and her kidnapper walked in. She looked worried, as she knelt down so she was at Christine's level and asked her if she was alright.

   "I heard your scream. Is it the baby? Hope nothing bad has happened."

   Still panting, Christine replied, "I'm alright. It was just a bad dream." Her hands involuntarily went to her baby bump, and a sigh of relief came out of her.

   The woman sighed too. "You scared me."

   Christine looked her straight in the face, and started sobbing. "Please, I want to go home. I know I probably sound like a broken record right now, but I miss my family. I'm growing mad by the day staying here."

   The woman feverishly shook her head. "I'm afraid I can't let that happen. I can't let you go. Till I get what I want."

   "What do you want?" Christine was practically screaming at this point. "Is it money? Just contact my fiancé. That can be arranged."

   The woman fixed her with a stony gaze as she said, "I've told you already. Money isn't my problem. My desire is far more than that."

   "Then what do you want? You just proved that you don't want to hurt me, so what do you want?"

   The woman put a hand on Christine's face and softly said, "I just want what you took from me."

   "I still don't know what that is. You'll need to be a little bit more specific."