XX : Threat

Wednesday, 15th February 2023

Christine walked into her shop to a round of applause from her employees, and she looked around in surprise. She didn't think she had done anything of recent which would warrant their congratulations, so what could it be?

   One of her sales girls walked forward with a bouquet of flowers, a wide smile on her face as she handed them to her. "Congratulations on your engagement. From all of us."

   The news of their engagement had gotten out when pictures were taken of Christine and Ruby on their outing last night. Christine had ignored all the questions thrown her way in regards to her new accessory, but tabloids and bloggers had gone crazy with speculation. Christine had never enjoyed the spotlight, but this once, she was glad she was in it. She couldn't explain it, but she felt sort of good when she was referred to as a fiancée and no longer a girlfriend. Although she still thought Scott proposed to her because he had to, she was putting that thought aside for now.

   "Oh, that?" Christine made sure to show off the ring on her left hand after collecting the bouquet. "You guys didn't have to do this."

   "You and Scott are so cute together," another sales girls said, and Christine could swear she was close to drooling as she looked at her ring with dreamy eyes.

   "I know, right?" Christine smiled. If only they knew.

   She walked to her office at the back of the shop, after giving her employees a last smile. "Amy?" she addressed her assistant. "Could you help me with the inventory on the Valentine lines' sales? Bring them to my office in ten."

   "Okay madam," Amy replied and headed in the opposite direction.

   Christine unlocked her office door, walked in and put her bag on her desk. She then took a vase off one of her shelves, and put the flowers in it. It actually gave her room more colour, she realised as she placed it on the table in the center of the room. Smiling smugly, she took a picture of it, and posted on Snap with the caption, I have the best employees.

   Still smiling, she walked to her desk. Before she could seat herself, she was stopped midair by the sight of a card on her desk. It was little - the size of a coupon - and was folded with no writing on the outside. Curious, Christine picked it up and unfolded it.

   I HATE YOU, the note read in bold black ink.

   A chill ran down her spine, and the hairs on the back of her neck stood on end. She looked up sharply, feeling someone else's presence. But all she saw was her window, now opened, a slight wind rustling her curtain. Who had opened her window? She rarely opened it.

   With a sigh, she walked to the window and closed it. Back to the note. This didn't sound like a joke or even some sort of prank to her. Even if it was, who had left it for her? Only she and her assistant had unrestricted access to her office. The other employees weren't allowed to get in in her absence, and it was always locked when she left.

   She looked up in thought, tapping a finger against the note which was still in her hold. Like a light bulb being suddenly switched on, she remembered the cameras in her office. Whoever had done this would have definitely been caught by them.

   She walked out of her office in a quick stride, nearly bumping into Amy, who was holding the files she had requested for.

   "Are you leaving?" Amy asked as she adjusted her glasses. "I was just bringing the inventory to your office."

   "Amy, when last were you in my office?" Christine asked agitatedly.

   "Day before yesterday, why?" Amy looked confused.

   "Did you by any chance give the keys to someone else?"

   Amy frowned in thought, "No, I didn't."

   "Are you sure?"

    "A hundred percent."

   Christine lifted up the note. "Do you have any idea about this?"

   Amy shook her head. "No, I don't, madam."

   "Leave the files on my desk." With a sigh, Christine walked to the reception desk, behind which were the camera monitors. She smiled at the receptionist, and took a seat behind the monitors.

   After spending more than half an hour and coming up with nothing fruitful, Christine decided to phone Scott.

   He picked up on the first ring. "Babe? Missing me already?"

   Christine rolled her eyes, wishing he could see it. "You wish."

   "It's not like I expected you to admit it." The sound of his laughter vibrated through the phone line.

   "I called about something else entirely. And it's kind of urgent."

   His playful tone switched to a serious one as he asked, "Is everything alright?"

   She sighed and ran a hand on her forehead. "I saw a note on my desk this morning. And although it didn't carry any sort of threat or something like that, the message wasn't exactly friendly either. I have no idea who wrote it, and the footage hasn't brought up anything either. I think it's been altered, or I don't know. I'm really confused right now and sort of scared. Could you please send in some technicians to check it out?"

   "Yeah, I'll send some over right now. And I'm on my way too."

   "Thanks. I'd very much like that."

   "See you babe."

When the technicians showed up, they confirmed Christine's suspicion. The footage had been modified, so whoever left the note knew what they were doing.

   News of what had happened had spread among her workers by now, and Christine could feel their eyes on her as she walked into her office, Scott behind her.

   She began to pace up and down, Scott closing her door to give them some privacy.

   "Do you think it could be one of the girls? I don't think it's someone far away." She asked as she bit on her nail.

   Scott took her hands in his and led her to a seat. "Don't worry about that. I'll take it from here. Stress is the last thing you need in your condition."

   "It's a little difficult not to be stressed after seeing something like that."

   Scott tried to hush her. "It might end up being nothing. It could just be a prank or something like that."

   "I hate to break this to you, but pranksters don't mess with CCTV footage," she sarcastically remarked. "Whoever did this did it with intention. And I suspect there might be an agenda. What if they don't end here?"

   "There you go, overthinking everything like you always do. While I don't think it should be something we worry too much about, I'll arrange some security for you, just in case."

   "Just in case? Scott, I'm telling you that this is real. And while I don't like the thought of some stuck up guy dressed in black and white following me around like a shadow, I'd gladly accept a guard at the moment. I'm scared." She said the last part in barely a whisper, fear reflected in her eyes.

   Scott held in a sort of awkward hug- as they were both seated- and ran his fingers through her hair, comforting her. He placed a kiss on her forehead. "I'm not going to let anything bad happen to you. You and our baby."

   At his words, Christine relaxed a little. She knew he meant what he said, but she couldn't get rid of the feeling of dread going through her.

A/N : Thank you for reading. Please vote, comment and share.