XIV : When It Rains

Sunday, 2nd October 2022

"He's not coping too well post the injury. He seems so frustrated and angry. Angry at no one in particular and yet at everyone. It's like he blames the world. And he makes sure to let everyone around him know exactly how he feels by transfer of aggression. The last session with his physical therapist, he snapped and was rude to her before walking out. Since then, he refuses to attend physical therapy. He claims he needs no one's help. He's trying to ease his hurt pride, but only keeps on hurting himself more.

   "The other day, I ran to the hallway when I heard the sound of a falling body, and there he was, at the bottom of the staircase, huddled in pain. All because he refuses to use the clutches he was given by the doctor. I ran to help him up, but he pushed me away in the coldest way possible. And that's not even half of it. He refuses to go out - says he doesn't want anyone to see him in this state -, snaps when the tv stops on a sports channel and doesn't even respond whenever the coach or his teammates call to check on him. He's completely shut everyone out. Everyone, except Summer. Atleast, that's something I'm grateful for."

   Christine ran a hand over her face and held her face in that hand. "Honestly, with the constant work trips and meetings, having to take care of Summer and still trying to figure out his mood swings, I don't know how much of this I can take anymore. It's just so... difficult."

   Eve gave Christine a sympathetic look. "Honey, I'm not going to advise you to stay only for my son's sake. But I'll advise you to stay because that's how rough relationships can get. You and Scott have been in the honeymoon stage for quite a number of years - which is a phenomenal thing, I tell you - and this is just your zap to reality. Don't just run with your tail in between your legs at the slightest inconvenience. Every long term relationship requires more problem solving than you could ever deem possible. You two will survive this. I have faith in you.

   "Scott is just going through a really tough time right now, and though he may not realise it, he really needs you. Please, do not leave him at this very vulnerable point in his life. Look at the beautiful life the two of you have built together. Don't let it go to waste because of this."

   Christine sighed as she struggled to hold back the tears that threatened to fall through. "It's just so much for me to handle right now. I just think we need a break from each other. And not that I wish for it, but it could become something permanent. I'm just really tired at this point."

   "My dear, I know what you must feel like right now. I too have felt that way countless times towards Victor. And I'm not trying to compare our relationship with yours but please, promise me you'll atleast take some time to think your decision through. Don't just jump into it."

   Christine slowly nodded. "Yeah, I can do that. Thanks for listening to me ranting. I just really needed someone to rant to."

   "Don't you mention it. Anytime you need someone to talk to, remember I'm right here. I mean, all I do is sit home all day, sipping wine and going through fashion magazines. Not much to do with my time."

   Christine chuckled. "You're living the life."

   "Oh, darling. Being a stay at home wife isn't everything it's made out to be. Sure, it has its perks but it can still be very unsatisfying. But well, you know how we humans are. Always wishing for what we don't have."

   "Yeah, right. Eve, it was so lovely talking to you. Again, thank you for your time. But I really have to go. I hear Summer's footsteps just outside my door. I guess she's already hungry for some breakfast."

   "Talk to you later, Christine. Don't forget what I just said. Think things through. When in doubt, don't act. Bye."

   Christine waved back as Eve terminated the call. The moment her face disappeared from the screen, Christine let out the deep sigh she had been holding in. That was the problem. She wasn't in doubt.