XXIII : Attack

Dedicated to Jaysyindi

Wednesday, 1st March 2023
"I'm sorry I can't go see you off myself. I have an urgent meeting with some potential investors."

  "It's alright. I understand. I had so much fun with you, you know. We should do this again sometime."

   Christine grabbed Ruby in a tight hug.

   "God! I've missed you."

   "I've missed you too. You have no idea how much."

   "Never walk out of my life again. I'm not sure if I will survive this time."

  Christine retracts her arms from around her friend. Ruby looked at her with sincerity shining in her eyes. She took Christine's hands in hers.

   "I'm not going to leave this time. I need you too. Our time apart made me realise a lot. Watching your life through tabloids and newspapers isn't what I want. I want to experience all that in person. I'll be in town when you're expecting my godchild."

   They both laughed to what she said.

   "You're already claiming ownership of the child?" Christine asked.

   Ruby pouts. "We made a promise to each other, remember? We promised each other our first borns."

   "It's so unfair that you get mine first. When we both know you have little to no plans of settling down any time soon," Christine complained.

   "Oh, please. It's not me who has the problem. It's the men I seem to fall for who have a problem."

    "Which means you have a problem," Christine tried to make her see.

   Still, Ruby was adamant to stick to her opinion. "No, I do not. It's not my fault if they can't handle all this."

   "I know you won't agree with me, but deep down you know I'm speaking the truth. Let's try it this way; why don't I set you up with someone? I know one of Scott's friends who will be just perfect for you."

   "No!" Ruby half-screamed. "I don't want an athlete. Too many opinions to consider. I'm sorry, but I do not admire that part of you and Scott's lives."

   "That's the fun part. He's not an athlete. He's a businessman. So, can I do the honours?" There's a twinkle in Christine's eyes as she asks this.

   "Christine, I really want to say yes, but I'll have to go with no. I'm tired of getting constantly disappointed. My spirit is just too fragile for all this."

   "Come on. What if he's finally the one?"

   "I'm not willing to wear my heart on my sleeve for that slim chance. Christine, don't worry about me. I'll be fine. The one for me will come around when he has to. Things always eventually fall into place at the right time."

   "I won't bug you anymore," Christine assured her. "But I'm just saying, you should get to at least know this guy. I can just feel that you two will work out."

   "Christine," Ruby whined.

   "What?" Christine feigned ignorance.

    "I hope this side of you only lasts the duration of your pregnancy."

   "You'll miss this side of me," Christine says and stands up. "Anyways, I had best be heading out." She grabbed the box of crackers on Ruby's table. "These are really great."

   "You can have them." Ruby told her.

   "I wasn't even seeking your opinion in the first place," Christine replied.

   Ruby walked Christine to the door.

Christine frowns when she checks her phone after her meeting. She sees six missed calls from Ruby and a voice note from her. Ruby knew she was in a meeting, so it must have been something really important.

   Christine walks to her car while listening to the voice note.

   "Please call me back as soon as you can when you get this message," Ruby's voice said. Her words came out in a rush, and Christine could hear her heavy breaths through the line.

   Starting her car, she dials Ruby's number. Ruby immediately picks up.

   "Christine? Where are you?" Ruby asks in a rush.

   "I just left the meeting. I'm headed for my office, why?"

   "Christine, you need to stop wherever you are right now. She's coming for you. She's been watching you."

   Christine is puzzled as she asks, "What are you talking about?"

   "Christine, you were right. Someone is after you. I was attacked on my way to the airport because she thought you were with me. The look in her eyes, I can say for sure that she will take your life if she can."

   Christine feels chills run down her spine. "You keep saying 'she' as though she's someone we both know. Who is she?"

   "I didn't recognise her. But she claims we know her and took something from her four years ago. Christine, I have no idea what she's talking about. Do you?"

   Christine doesn't have the time to process anything after that as a car crashes into the passenger side of her car, putting her car off balance and shattering glass everywhere. Christine hears the ear splittering sound of breaking glass and feels pain in her head before her vision goes pitch black.

   Her phone which fell beside her is still transmitting Ruby's voice, "Christine? Christine? What was that noise? Christine!"

   A booted leg steps on the phone, silencing it.

A/N : Mystery lady's identity will be revealed in the next chapter. But before that, I'd like to hear your theories on who you think she might be.

Thank you for reading. Please vote, comment and share.