XIX : Fortunate

Tuesday, 7th March 2023

Christine jolted awake to the sound and feel of paper being thrown on her. She stared around, confused for a while, before attempting to rub some sleep out of her eyes. When she did, she shook in shock at the sight before her.

   Her kidnapper stood at the end of the mattress, with a very frightening sneer on her face. Without waiting for a further reaction from Christine she half shouted, "Pick it up!"

   That's when Christine noticed the folded newspaper on her lap, which must have been what had woken her up. She picked it up, and saw a picture of she and Scott on the first page. In the picture, they were smiling at each other, very much like two happy people in love. She remembered the picture : it was taken at the first public event she had attended with Scott after her pregnancy was made public. The headline above the picture read : Star Player's Fiancée Missing for Almost a Week.

   She didn't get the chance to read any further than that though, as the newspaper was snapped out of her hands.

   "Why do you get to be so fortunate? Who are you even? You're a nobody! And yet your absence gets to be felt by millions! Why are you the one who got it all?" Her kidnapper screamed at her, spit flying from her mouth.

   Christine stared at her, dazed. She was tired of her speaking - in this case, shouting - in riddles. It was very confusing and unsettling.

   "Aren't you going to say something?"

   Christine gulped. "What do you want me to say? I don't get why you're so mad. Scott is a celebrity. It's only normal that his private life makes it to the papers."

    "That's my problem, exactly! Everything you have is thanks to him!" She angrily grabbed  a fistful of Christine's hair and raised her to her feet, ignoring her yelps of pain. "You don't deserve him! Why does it get to be you?"

    "You're hurting me," Christine said as the excruciating pain spread, making her head hurt so much she thought she might go unconscious.

   She flung Christine to one corner of the room, screaming. Ignoring the pain she felt, Christine struggled to a sitting position, immediately looking for any sign of blood in between her legs. Relieved when she didn't see any, she put her hands on her belly, heaving a sigh of relief.

   Suddenly, the sound of crying filled the room. Christine looked up in surprise, to see her sobbing so much her shoulders shook. She felt a pang of pain for her, and somehow felt like sympatising with her. She was after all, only human too.

   Christine didn't know what she had done to cause someone else so much pain, so much so that she took such extreme measures. But one thing was clear to her. This woman needed help and care more than she deserved punishment.

   "It should have been me," she said in between sniffles, letting her tears flow freely. "It should have been all mine. The money, the fame, the shop, the baby..." She stopped here and looked at Christine before whispering, "... his love."

   Christine's breath caught in her throat at her words. Was this woman just another maniac fan obsessed with Scott, or was there more?

   The thoughts continued to linger in her mind, as her kidnapper continued to mutter, "It should have been me. It should have been me. It should have been me. It should have been..."

A/N : Short chapter, yeah I know. It's sort of a filler chapter. Nevertheless, you'll understand why as you go ahead.

Please vote, comment and share.