Chapter 8 - It's Like Getting Hit in the Head

"Isn't there like three hundred and seventy-two point-three girls who would love to tutor you on the fine arts of dating?" Kira asks when we've been gazing at each other for ages.

I could easily look at her for another age, but I should've known that she wasn't really looking at me; she was calculating the number of females in our district that fall within the right age limits to be my girlfriend.

So, she'd prefer any one of those 372.3 girls to be with me rather than be with me herself. That hurts.

What the hell is a point three girl anyway? One that cannot commit fully to the task?

I push myself upright again, using my fingers to unroll my pant legs. It's time to go; I cannot take much more of this. I got the message; I don't need a telegram, a messenger dove and an e-mail to bring it home. She doesn't want me. End of story.

"I've only ever dated floozy-fannies," I grumble, moving around, getting ready to get up.

"Flooser-Fancies," she helps me find the correct made-up term my grandfather uses to describe party girls. "There are plenty of upstanding girls with moral standards who would love to take up the challenge. Why me? What on Earth do I know about dating and being the perfect boyfriend?"

"You dated that other bloke for ages. What's his face... the one with the fancy bike and the hairdo and the rich parents."

I hate that guy! They were together for a million years, and I constantly had to see them going into the Croft's garage together, where Kira's ecosystems live. It's her favourite place. I didn't like that she allowed that dolt in her favourite place but always threatens me with a broom if I even just try going near it.

Whenever I knew he was there, I'd go over to Kira's house to "look for something", and I just loved to see the jerk squirm and look like he was going to piss himself each time I glared at him. I glared at him a lot... obviously.

Kira was always extremely angry at me when the guy would make up some excuse and run away.

At some point, I realised that I hadn't seen him around for a while, and then Kira told me that they'd split up, but she didn't seem to be bothered about it at all, which was a huge relief.

That was the best day of my life.

It had started out as one of my worst, but that news turned it all around and made me realise just how huge the mistakes were that I was making.

"I dated Liam Quinn for only two weeks last year, long enough to help him finish his biology project. He broke up with me in time to date Mena Everglade so that she could help him with his physics project."

She never did say why they broke up; she just shrugged and said something about beetles that made no sense to me at the time. To be honest, I wasn't in a good place that day and hearing that they were no longer dating and seeing that she wasn't heartbroken was all I needed to get me back on my feet.

"What the hell?! Did he use you?" The old familiar anger I always feel boiling up inside of me whenever someone hurts Deli or Kira is simmering again now. Who the hell did that bastard think he was? He wasn't good enough for her!

I backed off from their relationship because it was going on and on and on (was it really only two weeks?), and Kicks seemed happy. I've never liked the guy; he is way too smooth. I would never get in the way of Kira's happiness, no matter how much it sucked to see the girl I love hang out with a pampered guy like Liam. I still glared at him every chance I got, just to let him know that I was there, watching, ready to launch his ass right out of his stupidly expensive high-tops if he didn't treat her right, but I stayed clear of them.