Chapter 30 - Lessons in Messaging

"So, if you bitches cannot play nice and behave yourselves like civilized human beings, you're gonna have to sit somewhere else during break time."

Wendy has Megan, Alice, and Laura backed against a classroom wall, and the three girls are giving each other uneasy looks, shrinking away from her. She completely ignores the startled looks from the students milling about, returning to class after the break.

It's a really interesting scene playing off here. It's not often one sees Wendy lecturing people on manners since she is generally the one who doesn't play nice and never behaves like a civilized human being.

"What's up?" I ask, hooking an arm around her neck to hold her back in case she turns violent.

"Nothing," she grunts. "I'm just explaining to these three that Kira is your girlfriend, and they'd better stop glaring at the little wimp, or they will scare her away, and then I'll have to stomp on their asses."

Now I wish I hadn't asked because the girls are giving me horrified, embarrassed looks and freaked out, they scurry away, each to her own class. I guess it's sweet that Wendy is looking out for me, but I'm not sure it's healthy.

"Wendy..."

"What? Didn't you see them glare at your woman?" she frowns, digging her nails into my forearm to force me to let go. "They were ganging up on her."

"No, they're not friends," Burlap joins us from where he'd been talking to the guy further along the corridor. He hands each of us a toffee from the stash he almost always has somewhere on his person. "They're more likely to gang up on each other," he assures Wendy, and now she is the one doing some glaring, and he is the target. As usual, he takes it in his stride, giving her a disarming smile.

"Just whose side are you on here?" she snaps, and he winces. I don't think he knows what the side options are, but I'm not surprised to hear him say almost immediately: "Ethe's."

For once, that doesn't earn him a beating from Wendy. Burlap is always on my side, even when my side isn't one of the options... or the wrong side to be on. I wrap the arm I'd rescued from Wendy's nails around my buddy's neck, saving him from any possible torture, and throw the other arm around Wendy's shoulders, walking both of them to class.

When we finally make it to Biology, the last period for the day, after surviving Maths and English, I pull my phone from my bag and yawn, scrolling through my contacts in the messaging app. Even sitting next to the open door is not providing me with enough fresh air to stay awake. The fact that the air flowing into the classroom is hot and humid is a huge part of the problem. I need a nap.

Why the hell is the aircon not turned on?

Yeah, I had a nap over break time. A really great one, resting on Kira's shoulder, but it was too short. Shortly after we sat down, Mr Rawlings handed out some old test papers for us to work through to prepare for the exams, and then he went outside to hang out in the partial sun near the door and grab as much of the breeze as he could.

I don't blame him. He is probably as tired as I am because I hear him yawning passionately every few minutes. Many teachers have a bunch of activities to supervise or coach after school, so they take it a bit easier during their last periods of the day, giving themselves and us a break.

"Please take a quick look," I type and send the message to Kira, using my superior shorthand skills. I can see her glance at her vibrating pencil case, but she is Little Miss Diligent right now, obediently working through the test paper, ignoring my message.

Come on! It's not like Mr Rawlings is going to mark those.

"I just need an idea."

"Just a little bit."