Chapter 38 - Big Bears

Storming into my bedroom, I throw the door shut, almost hitting my dad with it because I didn't know that he was following me up the stairs.

He shoves the door out of his way, and I jump back with a gasp when its edge hits me in the face. I don't think he saw me in the shadows by the door. My curtains are still closed, and it is pretty dark right now here, in the corner between the bedroom and the bathroom doors. 

It's nothing. I've had worse during my scuffle with Jet today. Still, the fact that it's my dad and that it's not an injury during rugby practice or a friendly brawl but happened in the middle of a fight that is becoming increasingly unbearable makes me feel the sharp stab of pain much more intensely.

"Ethan," my father continues his tirade when I step into view and try to put as much distance between us as possible. I'm glad to realise that he is unaware of hurting me. I spitefully wish he did notice because he would be crawling at my feet in repentance if he knew, but I don't think it would've given me much joy.

I just want him to go away now.

"It is not that I want to send you away, Son," he says, sounding tired. "I love you. Don't you know that?"

"Yeah, I know you love me," I grumble. "The same way I love Scamp but sure as hell wouldn't want to be in business with him because he'll just scratch up the furniture and eat the plans. I get it!"

"What?" He is now sounding half-amused and half-confused. He often sounds like that when he's dealing with me, but tonight, it's not fun at all. I'm not trying to mess with him this time.

"You don't think I'll be able to complete the degree," I finally spell it out for him, hating having to say the words out loud. "You think I'll be the final stab of death to your company... the one you always said was our company."

"Ethan, that is not it at all!" he exclaims. "I think you can do anything you set out to do. I just meant that you'll have options."

He crosses to my windows and studies the shadowy curtains while he runs his hands through his hair, showing how agitated he is.

"I didn't know what career I was going to enjoy when I was 18 years old," he says, turning to face me again. "I thought I was going to join the Navy! Plans change, and people change. I want you to have the best-"

"Options. Right! I heard you."

"Tomorrow," he says through clenched teeth. "I'm going to send your scholarship acceptance-"

"No! Dad!" He cannot do that to me! Can he?

"Ethan, I don't understand why you're so dead set against it! It's not like I'm sending you overseas! Or banning you from your home or Egret's Rest!"

"I don't understand why you're so desperate to send me away when Silverview has a really decent university," I groan. "I could just go to work for Corbin Construction if you don't want me at FG Construction. Would that make you happy?"

"You wouldn't do that! And that is exactly the problem! If I thought you would, I would at least have some hope for you here!" he shouts, breaking my heart. He wants me to work for our biggest competitor... for the enemy?! "Summerfields is a very small pond. If you can't find a decent job here and need to try other companies in other cities, a degree from Silverview will not weigh as much as one from Hummelton."

I don't want a decent job! I want to work with him!

"Because all those big, fancy companies are owned by old Hummelton students wanting other Hummelton students to crawl up their butts!" I growl.

"Ethan!" my father gasps at my crudeness, but I know when I'm right.

"It's true, and I don't want to crawl around in someone else's butt, Dad! I want to stay here... in my own butt!"