Chapter 2: A Fateful Voyage

Book 3: Harmony
Chapter 2: A Fateful Voyage

Jiansu

No later than he awoke, Jiansu went straight to his closet and grabbed his old glider staff that he hadn't used in years. He leaped off the upstairs balcony, extended the blue canvas wings of the glider, and flew to the top of the Golden Tower, where he began his meditation.

It didn't take long for him to cross over into the Spirit World. He found himself under a cherry blossom tree at the edge of a river, in the middle of a forest. He came to this place often, to visit some old friends.

"Jiansu!" Said a squeaky voice.

"Hello Dorji." Jiansu replied.

The little mouse spirit took off sprinting at the speed of sound and returned a few moments later with a lion-tiger spirit, Norbu.

"Jiansu!" Norbu said.

"Hey guys, I was hoping you could help me. I'm looking for a library here in the Spirit World. Do you know where that is?"

"Of course, everyone does! You're looking for Wan Shi Tong's library." Dorji replied.

Jiansu was well aware of that library. Kinlei very much wanted to go there. He facepalmed himself. "Why didn't I think of that? Thanks guys, I'll see you another time. I gotta run!"

"Bye Jiansu!" Dorji said.

"Bye!" Norbu added.

"See ya later." Jiansu replied. He thought about where he wanted to go, focusing on the library. In an instant, he was standing amongst rows and rows of books.

'Okay, I've got to be careful. No bending. Giant owl. Gotta be quick.' He thought to himself.

Making his way down a corridor, he rounded a corner and found himself face to face with an odd looking fox spirit.

"Umm, hi." He said.

The fox didn't seem to be able to speak human languages like other spirits. It tilted its head to the side, as if trying to figure him out. He glanced behind it at a stack of books on the ground. It seemed like the fox had been in the middle of putting the books up. Perhaps this was one of the helpers Siddis had mentioned.

"So, I was wondering if you could help me find a book... or a scroll or something." Jiansu told the fox.

It perked up, as if excited.

"I'm looking for a spirit called the Soul Sucker." He explained.

The fox turned and pointed with its nose.

"You want me to go that way?" Jiansu asked.

The fox took off running.

"Okay then." Jiansu followed.

The fox led him to another section of the library. It took a book in its mouth and held it out to Jiansu. He accepted it. "Thank you."

Jiansu opened the book and began reading. It detailed an island, far to the west of the Fire Nation, and east of the Earth Kingdom. It included a map. The island sat exactly on the equator, and exactly on the antimeridian, the one-hundred and eightieth parallel. All world maps stopped at one-hundred and seventy east and one-hundred and seventy west, as it was believed there was nothing else past that but ocean. The island was completely hidden.

He continued reading, learning that in the time of Avatar Kyoshi, a spirit had created a system of passageways between the mortal world and the Spirit World. One of the entrances was located on this island.