Chapter 9: Truth And Reconciliation

Book 3: Harmony
Chapter 9: Truth And Reconciliation

Jiansu

The steady flow of spirit water from the Wellspring was calm and relaxing. Jiansu sat down on the bank of the pool and meditated, trying to project his spirit to the outside world. Perhaps, he hoped, the spiritual energy of this place would allow him that much. He focused on everything that connected him to this life - those that carried the future in their hands. To his surprise, his astral form was projected far away from the Fifth Nation, across the raging seas to familiar terrain. To home.

He found himself floating gently above the ground in his mother's garden. At first he was surprised not to find himself in Caldera City, in Yasmin's royal palace, where he'd expected Akari and Yuan would be. Instead, he found his twins playing tag in the garden while Kareena watched on with a prideful smile.

'Mom.' Jiansu spoke, but was surprised to find he did not make a sound. He looked down at his body, but it wasn't there. The distance must've been too great to manifest an actual physical representation of his spirit form. He just floated there bodiless, unable to communicate with his mother or his kids. He watched as Akari used her Earthbending to trip Yuan up, and tagged his shoulder before running away.

Yuan sat up and frowned, annoyed. "I'll get you back for that, just wait!"

Akari giggled and ran away. Kareena quietly laughed and sipped her tea. She reached into her jacket pocket and took out a small photograph. Jiansu zoomed in to examine it. He found it was a picture of his whole family; himself, Kinlei, Akira, the kids, Uncle Jiahao, and Kareena. She stared at the photo longingly, no doubt missing her children, and wishing them home safely. Jiansu wished there was something he could do to let her know everything was going to be okay. He thought about leaving a message written in the dirt, but shrugged the idea off as he was unable to bend without a physical body. Instead, he reached out with an imaginary hand and touched her shoulder, wishing he could hug her. Kareena's eyes widened and she looked around, as if sensing his presence.

"Jiansu?" She whispered aloud, wondering if he was actually there.

The Earthbender was unable to respond, be it words or physical touch, but he moved in close hoping she could sense him.

Kareena seemed to realize Jiansu, if he was even there in the first place, was unable to communicate with her. "Be careful son. I love you."

Jiansu opened his nonexistent mouth to reply. No words came of it, but he imagined what he would say to her. 'I love you too Mom. And I'm sorry. Goodbye.'

He turned his attention to the kids, who were chasing each other around the garden. He moved closer to them, and just as Akari was about to be tagged by Yuan, she stopped and gasped.

"Tag, you're it!" Yuan exclaimed.

"Wait, do you feel that?" Akari asked.

Yuan frowned. "What do you mean?"

Akari shivered from the cool fall breeze. "It's cold outside, but I feel all warm. I think Daddy is coming home soon."

"Pfff. Weirdo." Yuan laughed.

"Ugh! You're mean." Akari said, and marched away.

Jiansu reached out to his son. 'Be nice to your sister, my little dragon.'

Yuan stopped in his tracks and turned towards his father. Though he was unable to see or hear him, Jiansu hoped he could feel something. Yuan didn't say anything, but he smiled in Jiansu's direction before returning to his game.

Jiansu took one last look at his children, then closed his eyes and opened them again back in his physical body. Zelemir and Kokoa were there, guarding his body.