Chapter 5

Kit's POV

The two demons came in, tearing my eyes away from my shaky hands.

What were they going to tell me? What was this secret?

"Kit," I looked up, meeting Shadow's sapphire eyes. Him and Ash were sitting down on the bed, opposite me, "We have something to explain".

"Have you heard of soulmates?" he continued.

I nodded my head softly, pleading this not to be the direction the conversation was going to go.

"This — concept — actually exists, in the demon world. You might have guessed already but you are our soulmate, like Ash is also mine."

I felt a small tear roll down my cheek. I couldn't believe this was happening.

"I know it's a lot to wrap your head around, but we promise you it's not a bad thing," Ash chipped in.

My voice was shaky, "What does that mean, exactly?"

"Once we mark you, you'll start getting more attached to us, and me and Ash will be more possessive," Shadow explained, "No other demons can touch you in a sexual way or they'll get burnt by the mark."

I guess there was some positives to this nightmare.

"How— how do I, um, get this mark thing?" I asked, then braced myself for a response.

"Me and Ash will bite into the side of your neck. I'm not going to lie and say it won't be painful, it will, but the pain is short. Our name will appear on your skin, in black writing, showing that you belong to us and are taken," Shadow explain again.

I nodded softly then turned my eyes down.

"There are also some responsibilities that come with being our mate," Ash spoke up. Shadow glared at him, but only got a knowingly pointed look in response. I looked up at him, my emerald eyes meeting his fiery orange ones.

"Shadow and I were both born into positions of power. My parents are the leaders of the Fire Demons. Shadow's parents are the King and Queen of Hell. He is the eldest sibling, and therefore the heir to the throne," Ash explained.

"So you and Shadow are..." I prompted.

"Formally, I am known as Prince Alarie, and Shadow is Prince Hayes. But both of us hate those names so we use our first names as often as possible."

I nodded once again.

My brain, deciding that it'd had enough trauma for one day, decided to shut down. The world around me faded.

The last thing I felt was the warm embrace of the duvet.

410 words