Chapter 38: The Rengoku Family

"How are you feeling now Y/N-Kun?" Shinobu asked.

She was sat next to you on the roof of the mansion which was slowly becoming your favourite spot to sit when night fell for a multitude of reasons.

One of them being that Shinobu would join you and sit with you for however long you wanted to be up there.

"I'm fine now thanks. It's just....having to wait until he wakes up sort of eats away at me." You replied, giving her a small smile.

"I understand." She said, smiling as usual as her arm wrapped gently around your shoulders.

"Mister Rengoku will be leaving tomorrow so he can continue his recovery at home. Have you heard that he wants to make Tanjiro his Tsuguko?" She asked, turning her head to look at you.

"He did say something about that while we were on our mission. I think he was going to take him, Inosuke and Zenitsa on as his Tsuguko's." You said gaining a hum from Shinobu.

"He'll certainly have his hands full, but I know that he will be an excellent teacher!" She stated.

"Yeah. I know Tanjiro will appreciate being properly trained by a hashira. I can tell he really admires Rengoku." You said just as you felt the extra weight of Shinobu's head rest on your shoulder.

You looked down at her and she looked up at you, her smile widening when you did so.

"Is something the matter Y/N-Kun?~ Am I making you uncomfortable?" She giggled slightly.

"N-No not at all.....this actually feels really nice...." You say while blushing faintly. However it got steadily worse as Shinobu's gaze remained on you.

".....during our mission on the train I....had a dream. None of the bad things had happened and the demons never existed.....everything just felt so perfect and I....was tempted to give in and let myself remain in that dream...." You started to ramble but stopped, only for Shinobu to encourage you on with a close eyed smile.

"....but I was reminded of all the good that had happened since then. I feel closer to Tanjiro than ever really....I always saw him as a younger brother and that bond has only gotten stronger. Then there's everyone here at the butterfly mansion.....you're all the most....kind-hearted, hard-working and selfless individuals, who will never stop until their work is done. I feel....lucky to have been brought here." You smiled at the insect hashira and moved your arm across, wrapping it around her and bringing her closer to you.

"And not to mention.....that I think I've....fallen in love with one of the most beautiful women I have ever met....." Your smile faltered a little as you got flustered and looked down at the ground.

Shinobu's smile did not waver but her face did go a little red. She gently cupped your cheek with her hand and lifted herself up to kiss you.

It was a long and sweet kiss. You both pulled away after a little while to take a breath, before going in for another one.

~

"Hey Y/N! Mister Rengoku is about to leave. I'm gonna go with him, do you wanna come as well?" Tanjiro asked as the two of you passed each other in the halls of the mansion.

"Oh uh yeah of course! I'll come with you!" You smiled at him.

He smiled back before the two of you began walking together to meet with Rengoku.

"Were you on the roof again last night?" He asked out of the blue, but you nodded in response anyway.

"Was Shinobu-San with you? I notice she likes to sit up there with you." He pointed out, making you blush a little.