Chapter 57: Renewed Determination

The clashing of swords interrupted the three of you. It came from close by so it didn't take you all long to scramble up and find out what it was.

"Looks like Tokito has already started fighting the doll. How many moves did you say it could replicate Kotetsu?" You asked.

"One hundred and eight!" He confirmed.

"Wow...and he's keeping up with it! Guess that's what you'd expect from a hashira though." You say just as a loud cawing came from above you.

A crow flew from a tree branch and landed on your shoulder. Upon closer inspection, you say that it had long eyelashes.

"Of course! Tokito is the best of the best! Of course he is keeping up with that doll!" The crow said in a high pitched, female voice.

"You're his kasugai crow then?" You asked.

"Duh! Of course I am!" The crow replied.

It certainly had quite an attitude which seemed to be exactly the same as the mist hashira's attitude.

"Guess I should expect that though. You do kinda act like him." You said.

"And what's that meant to mean?" She pouted.

"You both have....an attitude." You say, angering the crow.

She chomped down on your cheek hard, causing it to bleed and kept holding down despite your attempts to get her off.

Eventually, she did let go but remained on your shoulder as you gently rubbed your cheek.

"Y-yeah....I was asking for that. Sorry...." You apologised as the crow just pouted and turned her head away again.

"Tokito is an incredible hashira! He is a descendent of a sun breathing user! You won't disrespect him like that!" She sounded like she was ordering you about which did make you feel annoyed that a crow was acting like this towards you.

But you didn't want to anger her further, plus she had mentioned something which caught your interest.

"Sun breathing? The breathing that all the other ones branch off of....and he's a descendant of the one who used it? You're right....he is incredible." You echoed her praise.

"You're slowly starting to get it!" She said.

"Wait....." Tanjiro suddenly interjected.

When you turned to him, you saw that he was staring right at the doll as it dodged and threw attacks at Tokito.

"The doll....I've seen that man before! In my dream!" He said.

"Huh? You've seen him before? What do you mean?" You asked.

"You can't have seen him before! Are you stupid?! How could you have met a warrior from the sengoku period?!" Tokito's crow berated Tanjiro, who now felt like he was an idiot.

"I-I'm sorry...there's something wrong with me isn't there?" He said, sounding dejected which put you into action.

You shooed Tokito's crow from your shoulder and gently lay your hand on Tanjiro's.

"No there isn't anything wrong with you.....this crow just doesn't know when to shut up." You say, glaring at the crow which has now perched on a nearby branch.

"Yeah! There's nothing wrong with you! Besides, maybe it's an inherited memory!" Kotetsu backed you up.

Tanjiro lifted his head and looked at the younger boy.

"An inherited memory?" He asked.

"Yeah! Everyone in the village talks about it! How it's not just your physical form that gets passed on, but that living creatures pass on their memories too!" He explained.