••• ONE •••

••• ONE •••
Sophie

The summer air hit my face as I rested my chin on my hands and stared out the passenger window at the trees passing us by in a blur. The sky was a mix of oranges, purples, and pinks as the sun set, and I was completely mesmerized by its beauty.

I could hear my best friends in the background singing at the top of their lungs to a Taylor Swift song on the radio, but I was so entranced by the sky I couldn't join them. I loved sunsets. They were stunning and made you stop whatever you were doing to admire their beauty.

My best friend, Katie, poked my side, breaking me out of my trance, and I turned to look at her. She smiled at me and grabbed my hand. "What you thinkin' about, Sophie?" I smiled back as I looked at the sunset and took a slow deep breath.

  "Just how amazing this summer is going to be," I admitted, and a grin appeared on her face. "I just know it." My other friends, Sadie and Kennedy, screamed in agreement from the backseat causing Katie and me to erupt into a fit of laughter.

When we finally pulled up to my Mom's house, I tried to keep the positive vibes I had experienced earlier with me while I grabbed my bags out of Katie's trunk. "Soph!" Katie called after me as I started to make my way toward the front door but stopped to turn around and stare at her. "I'll see you this weekend for Logan's beach party!" She reminded me, and I shot her a grateful smile as I nodded. I blew a kiss towards them and watched them drive off down the street, then took a deep breath.

It had been two years since I left home to attend college, and in those two years, so much has changed. My Dad passed away the month before my freshman year of college, and his passing took a piece of my Mom with him. My Mom tried to assure me that she was fine, to not worry about her and just focus on school. But I could tell her usual glow was missing every time we Facetimed, and I had no idea what I was walking into.

I decided the week before the end of the semester that I was going home to spend the summer with my Mother. I usually stayed with Katie in California and just rented out an Air B&B until we were allowed to move back into the dorms, but with everything that's happened, I decided I needed to spend time with my Mom. "Mom?" I called into the house as I unlocked the front door and heard soft music playing somewhere in the house.

  "Soph?" My Mom exclaimed excitedly, and I saw her peek her head from the entryway to the kitchen. "Oh my gosh, my little girl is finally here!" She squealed as she pulled me into her arms and squeezed me so tight that it stole the breath from my lungs.

  "I missed you too, Mom." I chuckled and squeezed her back. I closed my eyes and smiled as I breathed in her scent. My Mom always smelled like vanilla with a hint of cherry blossom.

The last time I saw her was the week after Dad's funeral, and she had dropped me off at the airport so I could catch a flight to school. She looked so unbelievably sad, and she had to walk me to my gate like a kindergartener on the first day of school so I wouldn't miss my flight. Seeing her now in person made my heart instantly relax because even though she did seem a little sad, she was starting to get her glow back.

  "You have no idea how much I missed you, Sophia." My Mom sighed and then kissed my cheek before releasing me. "Come into the kitchen. I have a surprise for you." She grinned at me, and I raised my eyebrow in surprise as I let her drag me into the kitchen.

  "Mom, you didn't have to get me anything-" I started to say, but stopped dead in my tracks when I saw my older brother, Patrick, sitting at the kitchen table with a big grin spread across his face. "Patrick!" I exclaim and run up to him. Before he could stand up from his chair, I threw my arms around him in a bone-crushing hug, and he chuckled as he collapsed back against his seat.

My older brother, Patrick, was my hero growing up. He was kind and supported my dreams of becoming a writer even when our parents didn't. I could always count on him if I ever needed anything. He was only two years older than me, but Patrick was so protective over me that it was like I had a second dad. Some people might've thought he was overbearing, but I loved having a big brother that cared so much about me.

  "Hey, Sophie-Lophie!" He grinned up at me, and I rolled my eyes at the name he used to call me when we were kids.

  "What're you doing here?" I ask, and he shrugs.

  "Can't I stop in to visit our Mom?" He asks sarcastically, and I shove his shoulder lightly, causing him to chuckle. "Okay, jeez! I'm here because I have exciting news to share with you and Mom, and I've been waiting to tell it for you to get here."

  "Oh, Patrick," My Mom interjected as she walked toward us with plates and started setting the table. "Please don't tell me you got traded to a team that plays in a different country."

Patrick played hockey and was the assistant captain for the Boston Bruins. He's been playing with them for the last three years, and since we lived in Chicago, we rarely got to see him. I was proud that he was an amazing hockey player, but it did suck not seeing him.

  "No, Mom," He chuckled, and we both breathed a sigh of relief. "But, I did get traded."

  "Really?" I asked in disbelief and took the silverware from my Mom to help finish setting the table. "I thought the Bruins really liked you." He shrugged as he stood up to grab drinks out of the fridge.

  "They do, but it's all business, Sophie. I got offered a way better contract than I could ever hope for!" He exclaimed, and I raised an eyebrow at him.

  "Well, spit it out! Who are you playing for now?" I asked, the anticipation killing me, and he grinned widely as he made a drum roll sound on the table.

  "Hello!" A voice called from the living room, and Patrick's grin grew even wider as he smiled at someone behind me.

  "Is that who I think it is?" My Mom asked excitedly, and I stared at them in confusion. I had no idea who they were talking about, and before I could see who it was, Patrick's best friend appeared in the kitchen holding two bouquets.

  "Did you tell them yet, Lincoln?" Ashton grinned as he handed my Mom a bouquet of roses, and I felt like my heart was about to burst out of my chest.

Ashton Maverick has been best friends with Patrick since they were six. They met playing hockey and have been inseparable ever since. He also has been my crush since I knew what having a crush meant. I hadn't seen him since he and Patrick got signed by the Bruins, but he was still insanely gorgeous.

  "We got signed to the Blackhawks!" Patrick exclaimed, breaking me out of my thoughts. My Mom and I gasped as we couldn't believe that he was moving back home.

  "Oh my gosh, Patty! You're moving home?" My Mom exclaimed as she threw her arms around him, and he chuckled as he nodded.

  "Yeah, we just found out yesterday." He smiled at Ashton, and I looked over at him in surprise.

  "You got signed to them too?" I asked, and Ashton turned his attention towards me.

Surprise flashed in his eyes as he stared at me, and I could feel my cheeks starting to burn as he studied me. Ashton stared at me like he couldn't believe that it was actually me, and it caused butterflies to erupt in my stomach. A smirk spread across his face as he walked toward me and handed me a bouquet of daises.

  "Don't act too surprised, Soph. You know Patrick and I are a package deal." He teased, and I tried to fight the urge to roll my eyes at him.

  "Thank you for the flowers. Daisies are my favorite." I admitted as I held them close to my chest, and he shrugged.

  "I remember." He smiled at me and then ruffled my hair gently like I was a little kid before joining in on Patrick's conversation with our Mom about where they planned to live.

As I fixed my hair, I didn't even try to hide the smile that appeared on my face as I watched Ashton walk away. I couldn't believe he remembered that daisies were my favorite flower. I mentioned it once when I helped him and Patrick pick out corsages for their dates to wear to their senior prom. That was almost seven years ago. The fact that he remembered did not help with my ridiculous crush on him, but I had a feeling that I was right about this summer being the best one yet.