••• TEN •••

••• TEN •••
Ashton

    Sophie Lincoln was definitely trying to give me a heart attack. She looked unbelievable in that dress, and she had no right to walk around looking this beautiful. She literally stole the breath out of my lungs "So, where are we going?" She asked, breaking me out of my thoughts, and I smiled at her briefly before looking back at the road.

  "I know this really great spot to grab some food, and then we can talk about my plan."

  "Okay." She giggled, and I couldn't wait to see her reaction to where I was taking her.

    As I pulled into the parking lot of the diner, I looked over at Sophie to see a huge grin plastered across her face. "I can't believe you took me to Joe's!" She exclaimed and I grinned back at her as I parked the car.

  "Where else would I take you to discuss my elaborate plan?" I teased and she rolled her eyes as she unbuckled her seatbelt.

  "I wonder if their burgers are still as good as I remembered."  I chuckled as I nodded in agreement then climbed out of the car and quickly walked around to open her door. "You're such a gentleman." She grinned up at me as she got out and winked at me.

    If I didn't have a heart attack earlier, I sure as Hell was about to have one now. I held out my hand for Sophie to take and she stared at it hesitantly then looked back up at me. "Come on, Sophie-Lophie. We've held hands before." I reminded her and she blushed as she shook her head. I was about to drop my hands when she shakily raised hers and placed it in mine.

    I grinned at her as I squeezed her hand gently, and she smiled up at me nervously. "You're so cute when you're nervous." I teased, and she rolled her eyes and bumped her shoulder against my arm.

  "Shut up, let's go eat! I'm starving." She started walking toward the diner, and I chuckled as I followed her.

    When we stepped inside, it was like we were transported back in time to when we were teenagers in high school, and we would go to this diner after every game. "Oh my gosh, it hasn't changed at all." Sophie breathed out, and I nodded as I looked around the diner.

    The walls were still a bright baby blue color, and the booths that lined the walls were still red. The only thing that's changed is Sophie and I weren't here as friends and that made me smile. "Welcome to Joe's Diner, you can sit wherever!" A girl called out to us, and I pulled us toward a booth that was all in the back where we could have some privacy.

  "I remember the last time you and Patrick took me here," Sophie said as she slid into the booth, and I sat across from her. "It was before you guys moved to Boston and got signed to the Bruins. You guys were so happy." I smiled fondly at the memory, but Sophie cocked her head to the side as she stared at me. "But, you seemed kinda sad." She admitted, taking me by surprise.

  "Welcome to Joe's," Our waitress interrupted us before I could respond to her. Sophie smiled at me and then looked up at our waitress. "Can I get you guys anything to drink?"

    We gave her our drink orders and once she walked away, Sophie turned her attention back toward me and raised an eyebrow. "What?" I chuckled nervously as I glanced down at the menu and then back at her.

  "Well, are you gonna tell me why you were sad that day?" She asked gently and I took in a slow deep breath as I recalled that day. Sophie was right that I was sad. I was sad because even though my dreams of becoming a hockey player were coming true, I was leaving Sophie and probably wouldn't see her again for a long time.

  "You're gonna laugh at me," I sighed and she smiled as she shook her head. "I was sad because I knew that I probably wouldn't see you again for a long time." I admitted and Sophie rolled her eyes.

  "Yeah, right. You can tell me the real reason, Ashton. I promise I won't laugh." She assured me and I shook my head.

  "That is the real reason, I swear!" When she realized I was serious, her eyes widened in surprise and she started to blush.

  "Really?" She asked, her voice barely above a whisper and I nodded.

  "Hell yeah! Soph, I spent every day with you and Patrick since I was six years old. You were such a big part of my life and I had the hugest crush on you since we were in middle school." I admitted with a chuckle and Sophie's jaw fell open.

  "You did not have a crush on me!" She exclaimed in disbelief and leaned across the table.

  "Oh, come on, Soph! You had to have known."

  "No, I most certainly did not know! You never hit on me or anything-"

  "What are you talking about?! I flirted with you all the time and I was always staring at you!" I exclaimed and Sophie shook her head violently, not believing me but before we could continue arguing, our waitress arrived with our drinks.

  "Are you guys ready to order?" She asked, smiling at me and I looked away from her to stare at Sophie.

  "I'll get a cheeseburger with fries and she'll get a cheeseburger with only ketchup and no pickles with a side of fries, as well." I said and the waitress nodded as she wrote our order down.

  "Sounds good, I'll bring that right out for you guys." She smiled at us and then walked away.

  "What did I do?" I asked when I noticed Sophie staring at me in awe and I began to worry I messed up ordering for her.

  "You remembered my order." She bit her lip to try and hide her smile and I grinned at her as I shrugged.

  "Like I said, Soph, I had a big crush on you." I admitted a little embarrassed and she shook her head in wonder.

  "I can't believe I never noticed." She admitted and I nodded in agreement. I started to wonder what would have happened if we had both realized our feelings for one another earlier and if we would be together right now.