••• SEVENTEEN •••

••• SEVENTEEN •••
Sophie

    When we pulled into the parking lot of the United Center, I could tell Ashton was nervous. He barely said anything the whole drive here and held my hand like I was about to jump out of the car at any second. I squeezed his hand before he could exit the car and he looked at me. "You're going to be amazing tonight, Ashton. Just relax." I said and he gave me a grateful smile as he nodded.

  "Thanks, Soph. I'd be lost without you." He chuckled, lifted our hands to his lips, and kissed the back of my hand. "I have to tell you about something," He said apprehensively and I was suddenly nervous. My mind started racing and I could feel my heart start to beat faster, but before I could let myself freak out, he finally spoke. "My parents are coming to the game tonight."

    I let out a breath of relief as I placed my hand over my heart and shook my head at him. "Jesus, Ashton! I thought you were breaking up with me or something." I chuckled and took in a slow deep breath to calm my racing heart. "So, what's the big deal? I've met your parents before and you know I won't let them do or say anything to you that would ruin tonight for you." I assured him and he shook his head.

  "I know, Soph. I just want you to be prepared for what's going to happen after the game once they find out that you and I are dating." He said and I stared at him in confusion.

  "What's going to happen?" I asked and he sighed as he looked down at our intertwined hands that were resting in his lap.

  "Sophie, my parents have always known that I had feelings for you and they were never a big fan of us being together. I just wanted to tell you before tonight so when we tell everyone about us you aren't hurt by what they might say." He said gently and I blinked a couple of times as I realized what he was saying.

    His parents didn't like me. Well, they liked me but they would not like me if Ashton and I were together. I knew tonight was probably not going to go well, but now on top of worrying about Patrick, I had to worry about Ashton's parents finding out about us. "Please don't hate me," I slowly said as I shut my eyes, unable to look at him. "But, can we wait to tell everyone tomorrow? I don't think I can handle telling Patrick and your parents at the same time." I admitted and slowly opened my eyes to see Ashton staring at me with hurt in his eyes.

  "I could never hate you, Sophia. I don't want to wait anymore, though. We've been together for six months and it has been crushing me not letting everyone know that you're mine." He whispered and took in a ragged breath. "I hate that you have to lie about spending the night at Katie's house when you're actually with me, I hate that I can't be seen with you in public because the paparazzi might see us together, I hate that I can't tell my best friend about the girl I am crazy about, but the one thing I hate the most," He looked up at me with tear-filled eyes as he squeezed my hand and I felt my heart break seeing him cry and that I was the reason he was feeling this way. "I really fucking hate that I can't tell everyone I know how deeply I am in love with you."

    We stared at each other silently for a few moments and I knew he was waiting for me to tell him to screw everyone and everything, that we'll continue with our plan and tell everyone tonight, but I couldn't. I wasn't brave enough. He took in a slow deep breath and gave me a curt nod as he opened his car door. "I'll see you inside." With that said, he reached into the back seat to grab his duffel bag and then exited the car.

    I watched him walk into the United Center and felt a tear fall from my eye and roll down my cheek. I had no one to be upset with, but myself and I cursed at myself for being such a coward. Why did I have to screw everything up? I wiped away my tears and climbed out of his car, then followed him inside. I looked around to see if he was waiting for me, but he wasn't. I mentally groaned as I started to head upstairs to our suite and tried to prepare myself for seeing Ashton's parents for the first time in years.