••• SEVEN •••

••• SEVEN •••
Sophie

That did not just happen. My mind was spinning from being so close to Ashton that I physically felt like I could pass out. I took a slow deep breath as I tried to calm my racing heart and reminded myself that even though he does want me, he won't let himself be with me because of Patrick. I liked Ashton a lot, but I deserved to be with someone who wasn't afraid to be with me.

I heard a whistle blow a few minutes later and realized that practice was starting. "Shit." I hissed under my breath as I jogged up the stairs where my Mom was probably wondering where I was. I found her sitting on the bleachers talking with another family and I plastered a fake smile on my face even though I wanted to cry from Ashton basically rejecting me.

"There you are, Sophia!" My Mom exclaimed when she noticed me approach them. "Honey, this is Justin Thorne's Mom and sister," She introduced and they waved at me. "He's the captain of the Blackhawks." My Mom winked at me and I rolled my eyes at her as Justin's Mom blushed.

"Well, everyone is saying that your son and his best friend are the new Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews duo!" His Mom smiled at me and now it was my Mom's turn to blush from hearing how good Patrick is. "I'm Laura and this is my daughter, Christina." I shook Laura's hand and Christina waved at me.

"It's really nice to meet you guys. I actually just met Justin downstairs, he seems really nice." I chuckled and Laura grinned.

"That's wonderful! He hasn't made many friends since he only stays in the city during the season and your Mom just told me you guys live on the Northside, so I was thinking it'd be great if you two went out sometime!" She suggested excitedly and my cheeks started to burn as I scrambled my head to try and come up with an excuse as to why I couldn't.

"Mom, I don't think Justin wants you to set him up on a date." Christina mentioned and I gave her a grateful smile as she winked at me. Laura sighed as she looked over at my Mother and shook her head.

"Why do kids have to make everything so difficult?" She asked my Mother and she giggled as they started sharing stories.

"Thank you for that," I sighed as I sat down next to Christina. "I'm just not looking to date anyone right now." I admitted and she nodded.

"I totally get it, my Mom has been playing matchmaker for my brother for a while now. I think she just wants him to get married." She chuckled and I smiled as I shook my head.

"Oh, then it definitely wouldn't have worked out. I'm not getting married until I'm thirty."

"Same! I don't see what's the rush in getting married. We're both young and gorgeous, we can be married and boring later on in life." We giggled and I looked down at the ice just to see the team skated onto the ice.

When I saw Patrick and Ashton skate onto the ice wearing their jersey I couldn't hide the smile that appeared on my face. I was so proud of them for finally making all their dreams come true. Patrick waved excitedly up at me, and I giggled as I waved back. His gaze shifted to Christina and a colossal grin exploded across his face. I raised my eyebrows as I turned my attention to Christina and saw she had a smile plastered on her face and she was blushing.

"I hope this isn't awkward, but your brother is so cute." Christina admitted as she waved at Patrick and he waved back at her. I giggled as I rolled my eyes and then looked back down at the rink, but wasn't expecting to see Ashton staring up at me.

He gave me a sexy smirk as he waved and I felt my heart skip a beat as I slowly waved back at him. My mind was still spinning as I recalled what his message had said:

Thank you for reminding me how

unbelievably beautiful you are.

I can show you how sweet I can be

if you'll let me

My heart was reeling at him calling me beautiful, but I could never let him show me how sweet he could be. Why did the one boy I fell head over heels in love for have to be my brother's best friend? I thought bitterly as I watched Ashton skate around.

"That's so sweet, you're dating Patrick's best friend?" Christina asked and I snapped my eyes away from Ashton's as I quickly shook my head at her.

"N-no! I mean I've had a crush on him forever, but we can't date because of Patrick." I rambled on and my eyes widened as I realized what I had just said. "Oh my gosh, you did not need to hear all that!" I said embarrassed and Christina giggled as she nudged me with her shoulder.

"Your secret's safe with me, Sophie. Don't worry." She assured me and I let out a sigh of relief.

"So, you think my brother's cute, huh?" I teased, trying to change the subject and she rolled her eyes as she smiled widely.

"I mean, I'm not gonna lie to you. But, he's probably the cutest guy I've ever seen." She giggled shyly.

"I can give you his number if you want?" I offered and her eyes widened.

"He's single?" She asked in disbelief and I shrugged.

"We usually tell each other everything and he hasn't mentioned that he has a girlfriend or anything to me." Christina bit her lip nervously as she looked down at the ice and then back at me.

"If it's okay with you?" I giggled as I nodded and pulled out my cell phone.

"I'll give you my number too, in case you ever want to hang out when you're in town to watch your brother play." Christina grinned at me as she dug her cell phone out of her purse and nodded eagerly.

"I would love that! I'm so glad I came today now." We laughed as we exchanged numbers and then continued to get to know one another.

The day might've started kinda shitty, but it definitely got better when I met Christina and got to watch Patrick and Ashton practice. Maybe I could just accept that I couldn't be with Ashton because it could hurt Patrick and that is the last thing I ever wanted to do.

But as I watched them practice, the way Ashton stared up at me and smiled at me sent butterflies to my stomach and I began to wonder how in the Hell I was expected to hide my feelings for Ashton forever.