Chapter 12

Amara

Dante.

Why was he in here? I was actually about to kill this man. 

"Dante, why the f-" I stopped my sentence as he held up my journal. Shit! I never put it away.

"What do you want?" I asked, hoping he never read it. Hoping and praying.

"Oh nothing," he mused. "Just to know what the fuck happened," he said, opening the book.

"Dante stop," I said, moving forward to go and reach for the book but he just held it out of my reach.

"Dear thoughts book," he started. "I got beat today because I didn't get up early enough to make breakfast," he looked up at me with a cold face.

My breathing hitched as I stopped reaching for it.

"Dear thoughts book," he continued after flipping to another page, "I don't even know why I continue to try anymore. I was almost killed today and can't make it to school."

At this point, tears were welling up in my eyes. The memories I recalled as I knew every single detail from every single day.

"Dear thoughts book, they carved words into my back today," He began to go again.

"Stop," I whimpered.

He didn't stop though.

"Dear thoughts book, Gael moved away. How am I going to manage? My beating was worse today because I was out late with him," Dante said.

"Stop," I said a bit louder, a tear rolling down my cheek.

"Dear thoughts book-" He began.

"GOD DAMNIT DANTE STOP!" I yelled, now starting to break down.

His eyes snapped up to my shaken state as I sat down and muffled my sobs by putting my hand over my mouth. My vision was blurry and everything seemed so far away.

I was having a panic attack.

------------------

Dante

Shit. I never intended for this to happen. I just wanted to see her reaction out of this book. I didn't know if it was real or fake.

It seemed real though.

And when I looked up and saw her pale face that had tears in her eyes after she yelled at me, it made me realize how shitty I've been and how much I've messed up.

I watched as she sat down and drew her knees to her chest as she set her forehead on them and was crying.

I threw the book aside and crouched down next to her. "Hey, hey it's okay," I cooed.

I didn't know what to do at this moment. I was feeling rage from those fuckers but knew I needed to calm my sister.

She's not the sweet, innocent girl we expected.

"Amara, bambina, look at me," I said, lightly caressing her face with my fingers.

She flinched away and barely looked up. It was like those skyscraper tall walls of hers came crumbling down and everything just blew away in the wind, leaving the fragile pieces behind.

I saw her desperately trying to hold back the tears but her body betrayed her as another tear ran down her face. 

I felt so bad and shitty in that moment. I was a horrible brother.