Chapter 3: Game, Set and Match

A young man knocked on the door several times, and was shocked to have it be answered nearly straight away.

"Oh! Hello there. Sorry, you startled me a little."

He readjusted his mask that had fallen ever so slightly askew. Netting covered the right side of his mask, while the other side was a pale green, with strings of white snaking to and fro.

"Don't apologise for that, it is I who should be sorry. You must be Archie, correct?"

"Well, yes. How did–?"

"Come along and meet the other guests! You're our third one to arrive. My name is Sir Jonathan, but you can call me Johnny."

Once in the dining room, he introduced himself to the other guests; an eccentric actress named Stella and a impulsive CEO named Isla.

"So, what about you? What do you do for a living?" asked Isla.

"I'm a professional tennis player."

"How interesting! Any matches coming up?"

He shook his head, his auburn curls swishing from side to side. "Sadly not, but I suppose if it weren't cancelled, I would not be here today."

"Intriguing. I was supposed to have a meeting with my colleagues today, but the majority fell ill."

"Hm."

"Care for a drink?" asked Johnny. Archie couldn't work out how long he was standing there for.

"I'm... fine thank you. I don't drink alcohol."

"Well, if you're sure. Butler!"

A young woman, of whom Archie assumed was the butler, entered the dining room. Her and Stella exchanged a friendly wave before she went to tend to Johnny's request.

"Fetch this guest a glass of water please."

The butler gave a curt nod before disappearing, then reappearing a short time later with a glass of water.

"Thank you very much." said Archie.

Suddenly, another knock sounded, indicating the arrival of the fourth guest. The butler departed to answer the door.