Chapter 7: The Ninth Presence

Johnny ushered everyone out of the dining room and into the grand hallway.

A small, dark shadow gradually made its way down the stairs.

It weaved it's way through all the guests. It stopped at Etta, brushing it's head affectionately against her legs.

She looked down. "Oh! I didn't know you had a cat, Johnny."

"Ah, yes. This is Jess. I got her nearly two months ago."

Etta bent down to stroke her. Jess sniffed her hand, and continued to rub against her.

"Anyhow, come upstairs. Time is running out."

Etta subconsciously raised an eyebrow at the way he phrased the sentence, but followed him up the stairs.

Jess followed her closely.

After showing the first four guests to their rooms, he stopped outside another door.

"And here's yours. I, or the butler will come round to check if you need help with unpacking or anything like that."

"Thank you."

He closed the door, leaving Etta in the room.

The walls were a dark maroon, almost the same shade as her mask. The sheets on her four-poster bed were the same.

She laid her suitcase down on the bed, narrowly missing Jess.

"Whoa! I didn't even see you come in."

Jess looked up at her from the bed. Etta swore the cat's eyes glowed blood red for a minute, but when she blinked they were back to her usual hazel.

Before she could begin unpacking, the lights began to flicker.

Etta looked around at the lights, but thought nothing of it. Must've been faulty electrics, she thought.

Once she has unpacked her belongings, Johnny knocked at the door.

"Everything alright?"

She nodded. "What was that light thing earlier?"

"Hm, light thing? What do you mean?"

"Well, I thought the lights flickered a little, but I guess it was just my imagination." After all, it wouldn't be the first time her mind had played tricks on her that evening.

He smiled. "Must've been," Johnny said as he approached the door. "Sleep well."

Not long after Johnny had left, the lights flickered again.

They flickered more and more, until finally the room was plunged into darkness.