1: The Ant

I looked up at the dim; yet sunny window, the blinds covering my view, I knew what I wanted to do, I felt a sudden jolt of strength and got up, I walked outside as fast as I could and amidst the brown deck next to the pool, was an ant, of course, it was at the very base of the deck, it's not like it could possibly get on to the deck, and so, I walked up the stairs and sat down on a chair next to the edge of the deck, it was a hot day, but I had an ever rising fever so I felt cold as ice and was wearing a heavy jacket.

After a few long hours of sitting on the deck I felt as if I sat out there long enough, I looked down and saw that same damn ant that was down there a few hours ago, causally I crushed it with my foot and thought it would definitely be dead, but to my surprise, it kept on crawling around like nothing ever happened so I simply stepped on it again, and yet again, it didn't die, at this point I gave up and walked away, back down the steps, I looked down and there it was, the ant, the.exact.same.ant,  I walked the other way and felt it chasing after me, as it started going faster, I ran faster, and I felt it staring into my soul as if it wanted to take my life, eventually the strength in my legs gave out and the ant reached my body and I let out the loudest scream anyone could ever make, the neighbor ran into her backyard and jumped the fence, "Are you alright!?" She called out to me, "No! This ant wanted to kill me!" I replied, sounding as if I was crazy.

"Um...I'm afraid to say that there isn't any ants anywhere in this backyard as I can see, in fact, it looks almost as if your yard is bug free, so I suppose I don't need to be here then." She replied and went back into her house as quickly as possible.

"NO!" I shouted, but it was too late, she was already gone, and when I looked backwards the ant was too, and maybe she was right, maybe I am crazy, so I just walked back on the deck like nothing ever happened, kinda like the ant when I tried to kill it, and I looked down again, and there it was, the ant. I didn't know what to do... but in that moment, for the first time in my life, I realized what the true meaning of death was, it wasn't just getting old and then dying the second that you hit 90, or 80, or whatever age is considered old, death is about accepting your fate, and the fact that you are no longer needed here on this planet we call Earth, it's about not fearing what will happen to you, and just accepting it, it's about remembering all the times when you truly felt alive in life and appreciating them, because those short moments that may of seemed worthless at that time, were your most valuable possessions, and forever will be for eternity, and even if we most likely will be dust in the wind after we die, we will live on in our loved ones spirits, so there is nothing to fear about death, as it is just another process of life, a sad one, but it exists, and don't worry, you aren't alone, after all, someone perishes every single second and there is nothing you can do about it, again, you just have to accept it, and that's the funny thing about life, it's all just about accepting the inevitable and hoping that you'll live a long life when it really isn't about a certain number you want to live to, right? It's really just about realising what you could of had, and wanting more, more time, more experiences, more time with your kids, more time with your husband, or wife, or sister, or brother, or even your pet, because all life is is time and time is the most important thing to us.

And so, thinking about all of that, I decided to accept my fate, and let the ant take my life, I relaxed, and fell back in my chair and off the edge of the deck, letting death claim me.