Chapter Twenty-One - Strangers

"Fear makes strangers of people who would be friends."

- Shirley MacLaine

Olivia Bennet

I'm not sure how Aaron and I got here. This parking lot was pretty much vacant aside from the one employee working the closing shift of King Donuts.

Although the time was past 10 o'clock, Aaron's illegal tint on the windows made it seem much darker outside than it was. Somehow, I felt more comfortable knowing no one could see inside.

Aaron's finger trailed along the dashboard, and then the radio dials. He swiftly increased the volume of the stereo and a familiar song began playing.

Die For You by The Weeknd.

I quietly hummed along to the melody, enjoying the music. It felt nice to just listen to songs and relax. I couldn't remember what that was like before my coma.

"Great song, huh?" I turned my attention to him. His eyes were dark and tired. I wondered what happened during that business meeting but I didn't dare to question him anymore tonight.

"Duh," I said in a is-that-even-a-question tone.

A quick smile passed over his lips before his face returned to that usual stone cold, ice look. Regardless of his tough appearance, his dark and tired brown eyes still sparkled with golden flecks. The way his lips moved so smoothly every time he spoke a word. I remember very little of our previous relationship but there's no doubt in my mind that this man could ever intentionally hurt me. I didn't feel safe because of his FBI-trained security or his illegally tinted windows, I felt safe because of him. Aaron made me feel safe and it was the greatest feeling in the world.

After staring at his remarkable features, I realized he had been staring back at me. My cheeks began to heat up and I'm sure that was very obvious with the way I turn red as a tomato.

"So," My voice was quiet. "we should get home now." It was only a mere suggestion, not necessarily something I wanted him to agree with.

A loud sigh sounded throughout the car as I studied Aaron's confusing expressions.

"Aaron?" I pressed him to speak.

"I killed a man tonight." His confession was one I was not expecting. I tried my best to hide my shocked expression but my gaping mouth ruined my attempt.

His hand left my thigh and ran over his stubble before pushing through the messy hair that sat on his head.

"I'm not the man you think I am, Olivia." I wasn't sure what to say, he quite literally left me speechless. I gazed around the car for a moment before finding the right thing to say.

"Why?" Okay, not the right thing to say but at least I said something.

"He was disloyal to my business," He opened his mouth to continue but I shook my head, denying whatever reason was coming next.

"You did what you had to do," I reassured him. I wasn't sure if I even believed that myself but a successful business isn't ran by a man who can't control his 'employees.'

His head softly fell between his shoulders and the rest of his body slumped into the seat. I still didn't know how to react to his confession, and I wasn't even sure why he shared it with me, but I just wanted to comfort him.

After a swift movement, I was straddling him.

His eyes grazed over my body before meeting mine. He didn't say anything but the way his arms snaked around my waist and pulled me closer told me everything I needed to know.