-03-

The argument and pain...

"How long has this been going on?" Maria asked, her voice trembling.

John swallowed hard, his gaze fixed on the floor. "I... I'm sorry, Maria. It's been going on for three years." he finally admitted, his voice heavy with regret.

It had been going on for longer than she had feared.

Maria's heart seemed to stop, the words echoing in her mind. Three years. It felt like a lifetime, a secret life unfolding right beneath her nose. She struggled to find her voice amidst the pain that threatened to consume her. "Three years? How could you do this to me, John?"

John's eyes welled up with tears, and he reached out to touch Maria's trembling hand. "Maria, I never wanted to hurt you. I thought if I could handle it on my own, it would just fade away. But I was wrong. I was so wrong, and I'm sorry for the pain I've caused."

"Who is she?" Maria asked, wanting to know the woman who had come between them.

"It doesn't matter." John said quickly. "She's just someone I met at work."

Maria felt a coldness settle in her chest. John's dismissal of the other woman only made her feel more disposable and worthless.

Maria pulled her hand away, needing some space to process the weight of John's confession. She felt a mixture of anger, betrayal, and disbelief intertwining within her. "How could you betray our vows, our trust? We promised to be honest and loyal to each other. Three years is not a mistake, John. It's a deliberate choice."

John's voice quivered as he tried to explain himself. "Maria, I can't find the words to justify what I've done. It's not that I didn't love you, but I was lost, confused. I made a terrible mistake, and I'm filled with remorse every single day."

Maria's eyes filled with tears, her voice trembling with hurt. "After everything we've been through, John. The dreams we shared, the hardships we faced together... How could you throw it all away? How could you disregard our love and commitment so easily?"

In that moment, Maria felt herself breaking. She had promised herself never to break down and to remain strong, but here she was, sobbing embarrassingly in front of the person she loved. If her mother were to see her, she would shake her head in disappointment, her faith in Maria's love and judgment shattered. Maria imagined her mother mocking her for this failed relationship, shaming her for the rest of her days.

"Riri-" Maria stopped him with her hands raised, preventing him from uttering another word. She no longer wanted to hear his voice. The voice she had longed for and cherished now sounded grating and insincere. She wiped away her tears and took a deep breath. "You have lost the right to call me that, John."

He took a hesitant step forward, but Maria instinctively recoiled. "Not any closer, John. Do not make me any angrier than I am."

John looked nervous, unable to meet Maria's gaze directly. "Maria, I am sorry. I never meant to hurt you."

Of course, those were the words they all said, wasn't it? Maria felt like a fool. The signs were there, right under her own roof, but she chose to turn a blind eye, hoping against hope that her suspicions were unfounded. But here she was, faced with the truth she had tried so desperately to avoid. She had been deceived.

A bitter laugh escaped Maria's lips. "You say you never meant to hurt me. So what were you trying to do? Huh? Answer me."

"I don't know, Maria. It just happened. We've been married for ten years, and yet, we haven't been able to conceive. Not even a miscarriage. You haven't been able to give me a child. Imagine how that makes me feel," John replied, his words laced with frustration.