16.

thanks for 100k reads, love you guys so much.

The encounter 

"We meet again, Maria." Roman spoke, his smile stretching across his face as he extended his hand in greeting.

Maria's heart raced as Roman's presence brought back memories she wished to bury. She hesitated to shake his hand, her mind flooded with the discomfort of their initial encounter. She could feel Charlotte's curious gaze, adding to her unease.

As she gazed at Roman's familiar face, a flood of emotions washed over her, leaving her at a loss for words. Maria hesitated, her eyes darting to his outstretched hand, unsure whether to accept the gesture.

"You two know each other? Since when?" Charlotte asked, curiosity hung heavy in the air

"Yes, we do." Roman answered.

Roman's affirmative response only intensified Maria's discomfort. She turned away, avoiding his gaze, a sudden rush of anxiety gripping her. She prayed he wouldn't bring up their previous meeting, especially the details she desperately wanted to forget.

Roman's smile seemed too knowing, sending a shiver down Maria's spine. She struggled to maintain her composure, her mind racing with thoughts of how to navigate this unexpected reunion. She desperately wished she could disappear, to escape or let the floor swallow her whole.

Charlotte's concern for Maria was evident in her questioning gaze, but Maria brushed it off with a nod, hoping to divert the attention away from herself.

"Maria, are you okay?" Charlotte persisted, unwilling to let the matter slide so easily.

Maria forced a smile. "Of course, why wouldn't I be?" she replied, hoping her friend would drop the subject.

Charlotte rolled her eyes, her playful tone cutting through the tension. "Relax, girl. I was just checking in. No need to get defensive."

Meanwhile, Roman, sensing Maria's avoidance, decided to break the growing awkwardness. He cleared his throat, drawing their attention. "I suppose it's my cue to leave now. Wouldn't want to intrude on best friends catching up." he said with a polite smile.

Turning to Maria. "It was a pleasure seeing you again. And may I say, you look stunning."

Maria's cheeks flushed at the unexpected compliment, but she managed a polite nod in response.

Finally meeting Roman's gaze, Maria offered a polite smile. "Thank you, and Happy Birthday. Enjoy the rest of the night."

"Thank you," Roman replied with a genuine smile before taking his leave.

As Roman walked away, Charlotte wasted no time in questioning Maria about what had just occurred. "Okay, spill it. Why were you ignoring the birthday boy?"

Maria hesitated, her mind scrambling for an excuse. "It's nothing, really," she deflected, hoping to steer the conversation away from uncomfortable territory.

Charlotte was not convinced. "That didn't look like nothing, Maria."

Feeling Charlotte's persistence, Maria sighed inwardly. "It's just... our first meeting wasn't exactly pleasant. That's all I'm going to say," she lied, knowing it was only a half-truth. She silently pleaded with Charlotte not to push further.