Chapter One.

Hermione sat still in her seat, her forehead pressed against the glass as she stared out onto the rolling hills that they passed by on the train. Ron sat across from her. His blue eyes never leaving her quiet form. Ginny sat next to her brother, reading a magazine and would glance up every now and then to look at the two former lovers who were barely friends at this point. Ginny nudged her brother with her elbow and he turned his head towards Ginny. "What?" he asked. "Stop staring," she mouthed. Ron groaned as he stood up and trudged out of the room, leaving Hermione and Ginny.

Hermione moved away from the window and looked at Ginny. "You know he still loves you," Ginny gave Hermione a soft smile. "I know. I just don't feel that spark. Anytime he and I kissed, there was no electricity. It's just wet..." Hermione made a face and Ginny laughed. "Ewww, I don't want to hear that!" Ginny shrieked. "I mean, there's just nothing there between us. I feel like it was more of a life or death situation that made us come together and once that was gone, everything fizzled out. And, it became more of a need type of thing. With Fred dying and dealing with the aftermath and the trauma, we both wanted to be there for each other but it just became too much. I felt like I was being suffocated. I just don't feel anything for Ron anymore and it's sad, but it's the truth. And now, it's awkward between us." Hermione explained and Ginny nodded her head. "I get it," Ginny replied.

Ron came back with snacks and candy in his hand and sat back in his spot. Silence filled the room once more except for the sound of chewing from Ron. Hermione went back to staring out the window, Ginny reading her magazine again, and Ron stuffing his face with snacks and staring at Hermione.

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

At the other end of the train, Draco sat with his hands crossed in his lap and his eyes downcast. His two friends, Blaise and Theo sat across from him in utter silence. Theo fiddled with his tie while Blaise looked at the passing girls who were sneaking glances at the Slytherin Prince. "I see your still the resident bad boy. Girls will be flocking to you for some attention this year," Blaise broke the silence, commenting on the girls gawking at Draco. "I won't have time for them," Draco said. "Won't have time?" Theo asked. "I'm still on probation. If I can get through this year with outstanding results on my N.E.W.T.'s, I get off probation." Draco muttered.

Blaise bit the inside of his cheek. "Do you think we'll have a Head Boy and Head Girl this year?" Draco shrugged. "As long it's not Granger," Theo chuckled. Draco rolled his eyes as he thought about that mousy girl who could never mind her own business. Blaise and Theo laughed and Draco smiled, feeling some joy return to him. At least going to school would get him away from the Manor. His mother was currently trying to sell it and being on house arrest in that dark place, he could never escape from the trauma he experienced while living there during the war. Every room held a horrible memory, something dark and sinister. It made him feel sick. And even more sick that he participated in it. He shook his head, hoping that would rid him of the memories and closed his eyes for a moment to remember to breathe. In through the nose and out through the mouth until the sick feeling went away.

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

The train stopped at the train station, allowing the students to be released. The first person they see is Hagrid and Hermione smiles as she looks up at the tall man. "No Harry this year?" he asked. Ron answers, "He's been offered a full time position as an Auror." Hagrid nods and smiles. "Everyone follow me and keep up!" Hagrid yells to the sea of students. Ron attempts to take Hermione's hand but she wiggles free of his grasp and walks ahead by herself. Draco is ahead of the crowd and Hermione instantly notices him. Just when she thought this year would be better, he has to be there to dampen her mood.