8

8| Toddlers & Infections

Nobody's POV

After Toni's talk with Evelyn, she told her sister what happened and she laughed.

"Evelyn is a clown for thinking that you gon let her see her grandchildren..." Tamar said and Toni agreed. Evelyn called Toni after their encounter and instead of not answering her call, she answered. They talked for a few but then Desiree needed her.

"Mommy my nose." She said getting her mother's attention. Toni grabbed a tissue and wiped her daughter's nose. Desiree has the flu which she got from her two oldest sisters.

"More tissue." She said and then licked her top lip. Toni shook her head and spoke,

"Do not eat it, nasty girl." She wiped her daughter's nose some more and then threw the tissue in the garbage. She grabbed the liquid children's Tylenol from the downstairs bathroom and poured some in the little cup.

"Take this."

"No! Nasty."

"It will make you feel better."

"No!" Desiree said and ran off. Toni sighed and called after her wife.

"Janet come and get your child!"

"No Mommy!" She exclaimed from the living room and Janet went to get her. She picked her up and brought her to the kitchen.

"What's the matter?"

"Nasty." Was all she said.

"I'm trying to get her to take her medicine so that she can feel better."

"Baby, why won't you take your medicine? It will make you feel better."

"I said nasty." She said with an attitude and rolled her eyes. Well, she thought she did. She just closed them and opened them back.

"Girl—"

"Desiree if you take your medicine, you can have ice cream later." Janet bribed her daughter and she immediately took the medicine.

"Wow..." Toni said in disbelief and shook her head. If that's all she had to say to get her child to take the medicine, she would've said that. After Desiree took the Tylenol, she went to play.

"I'm tired of her being sick." Toni said honestly and Janet laughed.

"Me too. You know who she gets that attitude from." Janet said watching her wife.

"You!" The two of them said at the same time. Toni smiled and shook her head,

"Mama K told me about you. You were bad just like your brother."

"No, I was not. I was a very well-behaved child."

"Mmm, hitting your brothers, going outside with just a diaper, ordering your brothers around. And being sassy. Desiree is you in the flesh." Of course, Janet denied everything that her wife had to say about her childhood. After dinner and Desiree having her ice cream, Janet got her ready for bed while Toni got her other two daughters ready for bed.

Janet bathed her daughter in warm water to bring down her fever. Once she got her daughter all clean, she dressed her in a long sleeve and long pants so that she can sweat out her cold. Janet then rubbed Vicks on her chest and her back.

"Burns momma."

"I know baby but it's going to help you feel better." Janet turned on her daughter's humidifier which also made white noise and lit up. She tucked her daughter into bed and kissed her forehead. Soon Toni came into the room and they both said goodnight to her. Janet then walked into her two daughters' room and saw them lying in bed. She kissed their foreheads and said goodnight to them. Janet left out of their room and headed into hers.

She took a quick shower and got in bed next to her wife. Toni laid on Janet's chest and she cut out the light.

"Good night baby, I love you."

"I love you too."

***

4:27 AM

"Mommy! Momma!" Desiree yelled from her room. She had been crying for about five minutes because she's in so much pain. Her ears hurt and they won't stop. The couple got up and rushed to their daughter's room. Toni cut on the light and Janet sat on the bed.

"What's wrong baby? Tell momma what's wrong."

"M-my earsss." She cried while covering them. Desiree didn't like the way her ears were feeling.

"It hurts inside?"

"Mmhmm." Janet put on her daughter's Uggs and a sweater over her clothes. They were going to take her to the emergency room because she could possibly have an infection. Janet picked her up and brought her downstairs while Toni went into her sister's room.

"Tamar, why are you still up?"

"I'm watching ER. I heard Des crying, is she okay?"

"No, she could have an ear infection so we're taking her to the emergency room."

"Okay, I hope she feels better."

"Me too. Will you be okay here by yourself with the girls or do I need to call someone?"

"I'll be fine."

"Alright, we'll be back in a few hours and go to sleep." Tamar nodded her head and her sister closed her room door. She put on her shoes and headed outside. She sat in the back with her daughter while Janet drove them to the hospital.

***

"Yup, she has an ear infection." Jackie said after examining the young girl's ear with an otoscope.  She took her gloves off and threw them in a nearby trash can.

"Since she has a cold, an ear infection would be common. I'll prescribe penicillin for her and then she will be better." Jackie said and poked her niece's stomach causing her to laugh a bit. She soon left to grab the medicine for the daughter of the couple.

"Momma Auntie Jackie make me better?"

"Yes, she will baby. Do your ears still hurt?"

"Mmhmm." After Jackie handed them the medication, the three of them headed home. Desiree had fallen asleep in the car so Toni carried her inside. They headed upstairs into the master bedroom and Toni laid her daughter into the bed. She took off her shoes and then her sweater.

"Mommy I tired." Desiree said as Toni took off her sweater.

"I know baby, go back to sleep." She laid her daughter in the middle of the bed. She would be sleeping with her parents tonight just in case she woke up crying again.

***

•Desiree?

•Other thoughts?

•Should I go back into my ToniFace era? I also still have a part two to write so I might...

Excuse any errors ✨