Chapter Twenty-Two - Change

"All great changes are preceded by chaos."

- Deepak Chopra

Aaron Adair

My head pounded as I laid there in my bed, thinking about everything I said to Olivia. I know she was probably hurt by my stupidity but it was the truth. I didn't want to lie to her so I told her what she didn't want to hear.

The faint ding sounded from the foyer, startling me out of my depressing mind. I assumed Olivia had just ordered take-out because she had been on a Chinese food kick the last few days.

I drug myself out of my bedroom, only to find three men standing in the middle of my penthouse. I was caught off guard but I wouldn't let these strangers see my unreadiness, as they'd take it for a weakness and Aaron Adair was many things, weak didn't make the list.

"What the fuck do you want?" My eyes flicked from one man to the other. By the looks of their black jackets with a serpent symbol embroidered on each of the arms, they were sent by Tony.

Not literally sent by him, because I put a bullet in his head just four hours ago, but by his brother. Roman Caruso, co-executive of Caruso Construction.

"Where's the girl?" The idea of remaining unconcerned crumbled in the palms of my hands at the mention of her. "Olivia, was it?" The shorter man said.

His appearance was enough to make one nervous, not because he was intimidating to look at, but because of his pedophile mustache. Way too many thoughts of what he might do to her fluttered through my mind.

Without allowing myself another breath, I dashed across the foyer, wrapping my hands around the short man's neck.

One of the men pushed me back while the other landed a blow in my stomach. The punch made me feel sick but I didn't let that stop me. My already-bruised fists connected to pedophile-stache, causing an ache in my swollen knuckles.

The tallest of the three flashed his gun, attempting to send me a warning. I narrowed my eyes at his sorry effort and released the short man from my grip.

"Where the fuck is she?" I spit.

"Oh, don't worry," The middle man grinned. "She's just having a drink." His sarcastic tone made the blood in my veins vibrate.

Suddenly, a sharp pain erupted in my cheek and after a couple of blinks, everything went dark, leaving me with my worried thoughts of Olivia.

"Where the fuck is she?" My voice echoed in my head.

"What's it like then?" Her soft voice replayed our argument.

"She's just having a drink with Roman," One of the men's voices ran through my head, but it wasn't only in my thoughts. "She agreed to go."

Olivia is with Roman?

Olivia agreed to have a drink with him?

Olivia left without saying a word?

My eyes slowly blinked away the blur, clearing my vision. My arms were restrained and behind my back. I couldn't see the three men anymore and I didn't hear anything now.

Although it was quiet and seemed they were gone, the worry never left my chest. Olivia was still on my mind just as much as she was when I went unconscious.

Regardless of the worry I felt, the ache in my left cheek didn't settle either. There was so much wrong and yet my head only thought of her. I felt betrayed and hurt. I hadn't felt this way since Olivia was admitted into the hospital.

It was two hours after I crashed the car, and I waited and waited and waited to see her, or hear something new about her condition.

"We don't think it's a good idea that you see her," Her mothers words repeated over and over, never letting me forget them. "She's not doing well right now, you should just go." My life as the good, loving guy Olivia fell for ended then.

The zip ties that held my hands behind my back scratched at my wrists. I continued pulling at the restraints until they let me go. The only sound I'd heard since opening my eyes was the snapping of the plastic.

As I stood from the chair, a flare of heat started in my stomach, and traveled to each of my limbs, causing me to slip back into the wooden chair they had tied me to.

Seeing the large knife that was embedded into my abdomen made me feel worse. Being tied to a chair or knocked out by a poor man's fist was nothing, but this silver metal was cutting through my insides, causing me to feel weary.

"Fuck!" I shouted. I didn't care if my penthouse was still occupied by people who didn't belong here. I didn't even care that a knife was resting inside of my stomach. I just wanted her.

I laughed at myself and threw my head back. Thinking about a woman while I'm injured and on the brink of passing out again was laughable. I shook all of the thoughts out of my head and attempted to stand again.

This time, the pain was prepared for. I managed to make my way to the bathroom to find a first-aid kit.

A small towel and one "FUUUUUCK!" and the knife clattered on the marble counter. I covered the gash with a pad and wrapped gauze around my back, holding the bandage in place.

It was probably best if I changed my shirt considering it was covered in blood but that was the least of my worries.

The crisp wind hit me harder than the asshole who got into my penthouse did as I pushed out of the large glass doors.

I wasn't sure where to go, but I figured if Olivia agreed to having a drink, she couldn't be far being as the local bar was only a few blocks away.

The walk was hard and the harsh weather only made it tougher but I shortly arrived to the pub, preparing for whatever I was going to walk into.

Loud music and a strong smell filled my nose when two guys stumbled out of the entrance, nearly hitting my unsteady body.

"I- I haven't had s-so much funnn in a long t-time," The clearly drunk man slurred. A loud breath fell from my lips and I entered the bar, instantly searching for Olivia.

It didn't take me long to spot her as she stood on top of the bar, swaying her body back and forth. Seeing every man's head turn as she explored a new move made me want to tear this entire building down. Apparently I wasn't the only one who changed.