Sing Me to Sleep (part 1)

"Scottyyyyyyy!" I heard Mitch sing as he shook me awake. "We're gonna be late to the writing session!"

I sat up in bed, realizing what time it was. I swore loudly, tearing off the covers.

I jumped out of bed and got dressed hurriedly, not bothering to brush my teeth.

I grabbed a pack of Pop-Tarts and stuck it in my pocket.

"Why didn't you wake me up earlier, Mitch?" I asked.

Mitch rolled his eyes. "I did, but you refused to get out of bed you stubborn mule."

I shook my head, grabbing the car keys.

Mitch and I climbed into the car and drove as fast as we could to the studio.

We came running in, panting while taking our seats.

"I was about to call you two." Kirstie says.

"Sorry, Kirst." Mitch apologizes. "Someone didn't want to wake up this morning." He adds, shooting me a glare.

I raised my hands innocently.

"It's fine, Scott." Kevin reassures. "Now that you two are here, we can get to work."

~

We had written two songs and recorded one when it was lunchtime.

We went out for a quick lunch at Chipotle before getting right back to work.

We were discussing song ideas when Mitch piped up. "How about we do a ballad? We haven't done a ballad yet."

We all looked at each other, nodding.

"What were you thinking about the ballad being about, Mitchie?" I asked.

Mitch smiles a little. "I was thinking a lullaby type thing. Like the one who's singing promises that they'll stay there and sing their loved one to sleep."

I smiled.

"That sounds great!" Avi says. "Let's get started on it. Right now."

Mitch grins. "Let's just jump right into it!"

And so, we did.

We were spitting out lyrics, writing them down, erasing some, spitting out some more.

I was smiling the whole time. Mitch had come up with a wonderful idea, and it was becoming a gorgeous song.

Once we were done writing it, we went into arranging.

We decided that Mitch should sing the lead for this song.

The thing about Mitch is that he sings straight from his lungs, which gives his voice such clarity. His voice is like honey, and we thought that his voice would be perfect for a song like this.

We all sat and listened as Mitch sang his part.

The whole atmosphere was so calm and tranquil.

It was absolutely beautiful.

We were all in tears as we listened to the final product. Everyone was going to love it.

We wiped away the tears and kept working until we realized how late it was.

We went out for a late dinner because we were starving, and also to celebrate our progress on the original album.

Esther rose her glass. "To the beautiful voices of Pentatonix!"

We all clinked glasses, saying, "Cheers!"

We talked, drank, ate, and laughed until we had to leave since the restaurant was closing.