Sing Me to Sleep (part 3)

A/N: Thanks somaj to @PTX_Pentaholic99 for giving me this idea. *Mitch voice* SHOUT OUT! And I also edited the idea a bit, I hope that's okay!

While the idea is brilliant, it's also hecka painful. That is your only warning. Read at your own risk.

It's been a year and a half since Mitch died and I have no idea how I'm still going.

I lie awake at night, my mind laden with the thought of Mitch's killer walking on the streets, a free man.

Tonight I place my hand over my heart and feel my pulse beneath my fingertips. I wonder why my heart's still beating and Mitch's isn't.

I wish my heart would stop.

I somehow fall asleep fighting the thoughts that pop into my head.

~

I have the nightmare again.

I relive Mitch's death, but I see his spirit leave his body through his last breath.

I dream that it wanders, calling my name and begging for help.

I dream that his spirit gets lost, and never goes back home.

I wake up covered in sweat and my breaths coming in sharply in rugged pants.

I sigh, running a hand through my hair.

I used to cry after having that nightmare, but I guess I'm out of tears now.

I get out of bed and walk to the kitchen to drink a glass of water.

I keep expecting Mitch to come out, noticing I had gotten out of our bed. I keep listening for him to ask if I was okay or if I needed anything.

I should've learned by now that he's gone, but I just can't seem to let go of him.

I gulp down the last of my water, set the glass by the sink, then crawl back under my covers.

Sleep drags me under sometime in the night.

~

"Scott, it's noon, please get up." I heard Kirstie say.

I groan and open my eyes, sitting up.

I instinctively reach to put an arm around Mitch's body, but all I felt was cold sheets.

My heart sinks and I sigh. I look back at Kirstie. "Good morning, Kirst."

Kirstie puts her hands on her hips. "Scott. Did you not listen? It's noon!"

"Oh yeah..." I said in the middle of a yawn, stretching.

"Yeah." Kirstie huffs. "Now come on. You need to get out there."

"I thought I wasn't allowed outside after I kept trying to go after Mitch's killer?" I replied.

"You're not allowed outside unsupervised." Kirstie corrects. "But I'm supervising you, as well as Kevin and Avi. We all decided that you needed the fresh air. So get ready, we're leaving in a few minutes."

I nodded. "All right."

Kirstie walks away as I stood.

I begrudgingly got ready and walked out to the living room, where Kirstie was, checking her phone while sitting on the couch. She looks up, locking her phone. "You ready?"

I nodded.

Kirstie rose and I followed her to her car.

Avi and Kevin were standing outside, talking.