7

Jackson

When I was in high school, I disliked coffee and never understood the hype about it—caffeine always made me feel tired and lethargic. In fact, I went through the whole of high school and college without it. But working for a global consulting firm in London after graduating from Business School and enduring sixty-hour work weeks finally made me cave in. Nowadays, I enjoy a good latte or flat white, but will limit my coffee intake to a maximum of three cups a day. 

Today, however, as I step inside the Maple Leaf Cafe, I'm not here for the coffee.

I'm here to see someone.

My grip on the envelope in my hand tightens, and I wait in line before facing the barista standing behind the counter. "Good morning, is Isabella...I mean, Isabelle here?"

The barista, whose name tag reads Cherie, shakes her head. "Isabelle doesn't work here on Saturdays."

Realization hits me that she must be at the markets running her stall today. Of course. How could I forget?

"Can I help you with anything?" she adds.

Just ask her to give the envelope to Isabelle.

I clear my throat. "It's all good, thank you anyway."

So much for just asking her to pass on Anna's card for Isabelle—I'm disappointed in myself. 

I'm about to leave when I notice a flicker of recognition suddenly light up Cherie's face. "Hang on...you're Jackson Carter right?"

"That's me," I nod.

She gestures to the coffee cup that's currently sitting on the far end of the counter. "This is for you, Mr. Carter."

I cock a brow. "Oh, I haven't actually ordered anything. There must be a mistake."

Cherie smiles and points to my right. "This lovely lady here ordered a coffee for you."

When I see the person she's pointing to suddenly emerge from behind a fake pot plant, my stomach instantly drops in horror.

This seriously can't be happening right now. I feel like I'm playing some kind of never-ending whack-a-mole game. 

Hilary removes her Prada sunglasses, before giving me a smile and a wave. "Surprise! Did you miss me, babe?"

After threatening you with security last time? Yeah, sure.

I avert my gaze back to Cherie and gesture to the coffee. "I can't accept this. Feel free to give it to someone else."

"Wait, what's wrong, baby?" I hear Hilary's sickening sweet voice and the sound of heels coming closer toward me. "I thought a flat white was your favorite. Should I change the order?"

Aaron's idea of filing a restraining order against Hilary was getting more appealing by the day.

Trying to remain calm, I take a deep breath and step to the side of the cafe where she's standing. "Did you know I was coming here?" 

"It was a lucky guess." Hilary smiles proudly as if she's just scored A+ on a test. "Someone told me they saw you at the Maple Leaf Cafe a few weeks ago."

God, does she have spies secretly following me around or something? I'm going to have nightmares tonight. 

"Okay, I thought I was pretty clear the other day at my office, but in case it wasn't clear, please stop contacting me," I tell her and turn to leave.

"Wait, Jackson! There's something I need to talk to you about," she calls out. "It's important."

Expelling a breath, I decide to give her the benefit of the doubt. "What is it?"