16

Jackson

After finishing a client meeting at their office on Thursday morning, I find myself walking past the Maple Leaf Cafe on my way back to Carter Marketing Solutions' office.

I hadn't planned on seeing Isabelle before picking her up later this afternoon for our flight, but it'd be great to make sure that she's feeling all good for tonight.

The Wonderland Business Gala, where I'd get to call Bella my date. For the second time.

Just as I'm about to grab the cafe door handle, I stop in my tracks and hesitate for a moment. Maybe I should just wait until later this afternoon.

Actually, fuck it, I want to see her again before then.

After straightening my suit, I pull open the cafe door and step inside, only to be met with a loud squeal. "Uncle Jace!"

Turning to my left, I see Anna who's skipping over to where I'm standing, her eyes glimmering with excitement. With a smile spreading across my face, I bend down to give her a hug.

"I missed you!" Anna giggles.

"I've missed you too, kiddo," I tease. "What are you doing here? Where's your mom?"

"Lucy and Anna were here earlier," a familiar voice replies. "Something came up for Lucy and she needed to run a few urgent errands nearby so I offered to watch Anna for a bit."

I glance up to see Isabelle with a tiny smile on her face, and a heartwarming feeling envelops my body at the thought of her looking after my niece.

Immediately standing back up, I take a step closer to her and gently cup her face. "Thank you for doing that, Bella."

A flustered look takes over her face and she quickly glances down at the floor. "It's nothing. I'm happy to. There are no other customers here right now, anyway."

She's so adorable when she's shy like that. The Isabelle I'd always known would have probably thrown an insult at me and punched me in the face if I ever touched her cheek like that, but lately, I've noticed that the way she's been reacting to me has shifted. Since the night of the reunion and our kiss, to be specific.

Slowly, I tilt up her chin, forcing her to gaze into my eyes. "I think I'd rather have your attention on my face than on the floor," I murmur.

Isabelle's breath hitches, her brown eyes hooded, before her gaze lingers on my lips.

"Kiss!" Anna squeals in the background.

As I stare into Isabelle's eyes, my mind suddenly trails back to the memory of her drunk and the vulnerability she had displayed when she was telling me about her New York Fashion Week event. The peaceful look that had permeated her face when she fell asleep on the couch. The way she had fit perfectly in my arms when I had carried her to her bed. The light breathing sounds that came from her body when I checked on her later in the night.

Even though I told myself I wouldn't kiss Bella again, I'm not sure how much longer I can keep that promise. That voice of reason inside my head is slowly being overtaken by something else.

"Hey, does anyone work here?" a new voice from behind suddenly says.

"Sorry, yes, I work here," Isabelle jumps in with a cheery smile, turning her attention to the source of the voice. I'm impressed by how quickly she switches to a professional mode. "What can I get you?"

Turning around as well, I see a man who looks like he's probably around my age, with wavy light brown hair.

"Isabelle, is it?" he grins, reading off Bella's name badge. "What a beautiful name."