24

Jackson

"So, according to the weather app, apparently there's going to be a major thunderstorm tonight."

With one hand on my car steering wheel, I glance at Isabelle, who's sitting beside me in the passenger seat. "A major thunderstorm?"

"Uh huh," she replies. "But I doubt it. I don't always trust the weather forecast."

"Who knows, maybe we'll be stranded at your parents' house together for the night," I smirk, sneaking another glance at her.

Bella rolls her eyes playfully. "Oh, I doubt it will get to that."

Out of the corner of my eye, I notice that she then starts reapplying her pink lipstick, and for safety purposes, I remind myself to focus on the road ahead instead of thinking about her lips.

I'd given my driver, Tony, the day off today so I could drive Bella to her parents' house. I wanted to have some alone time with her before the family dinner and make sure that she's feeling okay about it all.

It broke my heart to see that pained expression on Bella's face when I went down to the hotel lobby in Washington after she hadn't returned to the hotel room, and after I had a strong feeling that something was wrong.

My guess is that she ran into Oliver on her way to the pharmacy, Oliver then said some shit to mess with her mind, and it's caused her to have reservations about everything that's been happening between us.

Speaking of that asshole, I stand by my promise that if he ever says or does anything to hurt Bella, I won't hold back in making him regret it.

No one messes with my woman. My Bella.

From the way she had kissed me back—so eagerly and so passionately—and from the way she had looked at me with such an adoration in her eyes, I could feel it in my body that she wanted me too.

When we returned to New York, I'd wanted to give her some space and so as hard as it had been, I resisted the urge to contact her until I saw her in person again for her interview at Sparkes Magazine. And now, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to ease any doubts she may have while making sure that at the same time, I'm giving her the time she needs.

"Are you okay?" Bella suddenly asks, jolting me out of my thoughts. "You seem distracted."

"Just thinking about how I'm going to make a good impression on my future in-laws," I casually reply, clearing my throat.

"Don't worry, they'll probably love you," she teases.

"I hope so," I chuckle. "Speaking of which, is there anything else I should know before I meet your family?"

She pauses for a moment. "Not really, there's my sister who you've already met, and her fiancé, Ben, will also be there. They're both lawyers, and then there are my parents who are also lawyers. My dad is quite chill but my mom can be a little...intense sometimes."

I can't help but notice that Bella's voice changes when she talks about her family, her sister and mom in particular.

Letting go of one hand on the steering wheel, I give her hand a gentle squeeze. "It'll be all okay. I'll be by your side the whole time, and your mom won't scare me." 

"I know. Thank you," she says, letting out a tiny smile.

"You don't have to thank me," I softly reply.

Ten minutes later, we're standing outside the door to the Curtis family home. Isabelle takes a deep breath, before ringing the doorbell and taking a step back.