31

Isabelle

2.5 Months Later

"Look at this beautiful masterpiece," Aaron declares, pointing at the Christmas tree at Jen's apartment. Through our FaceTime call, I watch as a proud smile forms on my best friend's face.

"He did a pretty good job with it," Jen playfully adds, turning to me through her phone screen.

"Call me an expert Christmas tree decorator, babe," Aaron grins, looping his arm around Jen's waist.

It's exciting to think that Jen and I got into relationships around the same time and that my best friend is dating my boyfriend's best friend. The beauty of it means that Jackson, Aaron, Jen, and I had been on a few double dates over the past two months or so, ranging from bowling to movie and picnic dates.

"Wait, what's that smell?" Jen suddenly asks, scrunching her nose.

Aaron's eyes widen, worry and frenzy lacing his expression. "Shit, I forgot to turn the stove off!"

"Oh my god, again?!" Jen exclaims.

I watch as Aaron scoots away in the background, and can't help but let out a laugh. Somehow, this isn't the first time I've heard a similar story about Aaron's cooking adventures—or should I say, misadventures.

"I have to go and make sure that Aaron didn't just burn my whole apartment down," Jen says, giving me a deadpan look.

"Of course," I chuckle. "Safety first. Go check up on your man and apartment."

Jen rolls her eyes. "Talk later. Bye."

"See ya," I smile as we end the call.

Taking out my phone, I open my text message thread with Jackson and re-read our conversation from today. Today is Christmas Eve and Jackson has gone to pick up his mom, Suzie, at the airport whilst I'm currently sitting at the desk in his bedroom. He'd sent me a text earlier saying that they'd be back within the next thirty minutes.

Glancing at the time on my phone, I'm estimating that they'll be arriving any minute now...

As if on cue, I hear the sound of the front door turning and jump out of my seat, grabbing the Christmas present I'd selected for Suzie. By the time I'm standing at the front door, Jackson is already stepping inside, holding Suzie's luggage.

A dimpled smile lights up my boyfriend's face when he sees me and he instantly leans forward to press a kiss on my lips.

"Bella, this is my mom, Suzie," he then introduces. "Mom, this is my girlfriend, Isabelle."

"Hi Suzie, it's wonderful to meet you in person," I smile and hand her the gift I'd prepared. "Just a little something from me. Merry Christmas!"

"Thank you, dear," Suzie gushes. She takes the present and pulls me into a hug. "I got you something too, it's inside my luggage. You'll have to give me fashion and styling tips someday. Maybe we can even go shopping together sometime!"

"I'd love that," I beam.

There's another knock at the apartment door, and this time it's Anna, Lucy, and her husband Victor. Jackson and Suzie greet each of them, and just as Jackson is about to introduce me to Lucy and Victor, Anna jumps in.

"Uncle Jace, I missed you!" Anna says, flashing a toothy grin. Her hair is pulled into a ponytail, and she's wearing the purple scrunchie that she bought from my flea market stall a few months ago.

"Hey kiddo," he grins, crouching down to face her. "You look like you've gotten taller since the last time I saw—"

"Belle!" Anna suddenly exclaims. She immediately pushes Jackson to the side and runs straight to me, her face shimmering with excitement. I let out a laugh and bend down to hug her. "It's so good to see you again, Anna."