33

Jackson

"I don't love you anymore, Jackson."

I watch as Bella glances at me, an empty expression tainting her face. The love and adoration I'd once seen in her eyes is now completely gone.

"What did you say?" A piercing pain tears through my heart, and I don't believe her at all.

"I said I don't love you anymore," she repeats, each word akin to a stab in the chest.

"Baby," I croak, reaching forward to touch her face but she pushes my hand away. 

"Oliver was a better boyfriend than you and—"

My eyes snap open at the sound of my alarm ringing and I wake up with sweat pooling my body and my breathing heavy.

Fuck. It was just a nightmare.

It takes me several moments to recollect myself, and after checking the time on my phone, I force myself to get out of bed and trek to my bathroom.

This past week has been, without exaggeration, the most difficult week of my life.

Isabelle had stayed with me at my apartment for the entire week and been there for me whilst I struggled to navigate simple and mundane tasks. She hadn't wanted to leave but last night I'd convinced her that I would be fine. In the end, she had an urgent errand to run and reluctantly left but promised me she'd stay over again the next day.

And last night, without Bella by my side I only managed to get two hours of sleep. The remainder of the time, I had been wide awake and restless, contemplating a dilemma, but I've reached my decision.

After brushing my teeth and getting dressed, I pick up the envelope that's sitting on my bedside table and make my way to my apartment door, not bothering with breakfast.

I'm going to do this sooner or later, so I might as well rip the bandaid off and get it over and done with.

Thirty minutes later, I step inside Carter Marketing Solutions' office for the first time a week later, and it's as if everything has changed. The atmosphere is more quiet and tense, and I can feel my team staring wide-eyed when I enter my office and promptly shut the door.

As we'd agreed, Aaron arrives at my office door, a hesitant smile plastering across his face. "Hey, how are you holding up?"

"Just taking it day by day," I admit.

Aaron's eyes linger on the envelope in my hands. "Are you sure?" he asks, his expression softening. "Like absolutely certain? It's a very big decision."

"Yes, I'm certain," I firmly answer.

He lets out a sympathetic nod. "Okay. If you feel that's the right decision for you, then I'll support you, and you can count on me to keep things running here."

"Thanks, Aaron," I say, forcing a smile. "And thank you for taking my two a.m. call last night."

He chuckles and places his hands in his pockets. "Aside from Jen, you're the only person I'll sacrifice a good night's sleep for."

This time, I can't help the small smile which forms on my lips. "I appreciate it." 

"Anytime," he responds, a warmth in his eyes. "By the way, have you told Isabelle yet?"

I run a hand through my hair and let out a sigh. "Not yet. I will, once it's done. You're the only person who knows so far."

I'll be meeting Bella at the Maple Leaf Cafe in about an hour, and I plan on stopping by the bakery to buy her favorite strawberry jam donuts before then.