Chapter 5:

"QUEEN AMERICA IS HAVING A BABY!!!!"

That's what the title of all the magazines said today. Apparently, Nicoletta's little outburst got overheard by the cameramen and photographers at breakfast yesterday. I didn't really want it to get out this way, but I couldn't change anything.

"America, are you okay??" Maxon and I were talking in my room.

"I don't know." I said. "I'm kind of upset that it got out that way, but it was going to get out one way or another."

"That's all part of being a royal." Maxon said." Your life isn't private anymore."

"Yeah, I know. I just wish we could just be America and Maxon. Not the King and Queen, or anyone else. Just America and Maxon."

"Well," Maxon said with that sly look on his face." we could go up to the roof and have a picnic. Just Maxon and America."

"Yes, I would love to! How about a picnic with just desserts!"

Maxon laughed. " I do recall your love for the food here. Wasn't it the reason you were staying in the first place?"

"Uh huh. Remember our bet?"

"Of course! And even when you didn't cry, I was the gentleman I am, and gave you the pants anyway!" 

I still had those pants; they were tucked away in the back of my closet. Now that I was queen, I couldn't be seen in pants.

"Yes. My Maxon. Such a gentleman." 

I kissed him on the nose and he started tickling me.

"Stop it!!" I laughed. "Aren't we supposed to be having a picnic?"

Maxon stopped tickling me and gave me a soft, delicate kiss. " Ah, yes. Let's get to it then!"

He took my arm and sent for a picnic basket full of the palace's best pastries. we headed up to the roof, and spent the whole day up there.

We finally had to go for supper, but we didn't eat anything. We just sat and stared at eachother for the rest of the night. 

When it was time for bed, Maxon snuck in my room again to sleep with me. I felt so protected in his arms and I could have stayed like that forever.

But, soon enough, it was morning, and we had to work.

When we weren't at work, we spent time together, or planned for the baby. That's how life went on for quite a while. Until I was five months into my pregnancy, and still hadn't felt a kick.