Chapter 28:

"Maxon." I rolled over and gently shook my sleeping husband. "Maxon, we're visiting Carolina today."

He opened his eyes and smiled. "Good morning, darling."

"Good morning." I replied, kissing him slowly. "I really hate to break the mood, but we have to get on the plane to Carolina."

"Ah, yes. Duty calls." he laughed. We got up out of bed together and got ready. The maids had left two small suitcases on the dresser for our stay.

"Those maids." I said, picking my suitcase up. Maxon laughed and I took his hand. We walked down the halls and passed the dining room. We got to the palace doors and walked out.

"I'm exited to go home." I said when we got into the plane.

"But the palace is your home." Maxon said, raising his eyebrows.

"I guess, but Carolina will always feel like home too. It was where I grew up, and I'll never forget it."

"So, it's like your second home?" Maxon asked.

"Something like that." I replied, leaning against my husband.

The plane took off, and I was excited to visit my childhood home. I took my book out of my bag and turned to the page I had left off on.

The book I was reading was part of a seven-book series. They were generally meant for children, but it was such a good story that I read it anyway. It was called Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I was almost done; I had reached the part where Harry Potter and his friends were fighting the Death Eaters. It was a rather old series; the first book had come out in 1997.

By the time I was finished the book, the plane was landing. Maxon was leaning against me, sleeping. He looked peaceful in his sleep. Sadly, that peace was ended when he woke up due to his ears popping from the air pressure.

"Are we here?" he asked groggily.

"Almost." I said, holding his hand. He had gotten better with landing; he was only a little tense. The plane touched the ground and we got off. I was greeted by the sweet Carolina breeze and maids with our bags.

I instantly felt at home. I let out a pleased sigh and Maxon smiled.

"Happy?" he asked.

"Very." I said, wrapping my arms around Maxon and placing my lips on his.

"Mrs. Schreave, we're in a public place." Maxon laughed after he broke the kiss. I turned around and saw a big crowd of smiling people. I laughed nervously and they all rushed towards us.

"Stop!" a loud voice ordered. Everyone turned to where the sound came from, and it was Carter Woodwork. The crowd parted as Maxon and I zigzagged through the maze of people.

"Thanks, Carter." Maxon said as we reached the guard.

"Your welcome, Your Majesty." he said, bowing his head. We followed Carter to the Carolina Office and climbed the stairs to the stage that was set up. We got ready backstage, and walked onstage on our cue.

"Hello, Carolina!" I said happily to the crowd.

"Now, does everyone know why we're here today?" Maxon asked the crowd, smiling.

The crowd cheered and I smiled. "We're raising money for a cure for cancer! You can make your donations at the station set up at the office, and the province with the most money raised wins!" Maxon looked over at me and smiled. I returned the smile, but it was wiped off of my face.

"End the monarchy!" someone shouted.

"Step down from the crown!" there was a splat sound. I looked down and there was a big red mark on the stage. There was another splat, but this time, it was only a foot away from me. Maxon stood in front of me protectively and pulled dm off the stage. The crowd was rioting and the guards were on stage, trying to calm then down.

"What happened?" I asked Maxon when we got offstage.

"I-I don't know." Maxon said quietly.

I stepped closer to him and he wrapped his arms around me. "Everything is wrecked." I said into his chest.

"It's ok, dear." he reassured me. He stroked my hair and hugged me until a guard came backstage.

"We've calmed the crowds down, Your Highnesses. Do you still want the fundraiser to happen?"

"Yes, of course." I said. "Can I just talk to Maxon before we go back out?" the guard bowed and walked away.

"What is it?" Maxon asked, worried.

"Why do they hate the monarchy?" I asked. "Have we done anything wrong?"

"That was the DFIs. We both know what they want. We just have to stay strong. Don't let them get to you." I nodded and took a deep breath.

We walked onto the stage and the crowd was silent.

"We're very sorry for the delay; there was a few issues. They're all taken care of, so let's start raising money!" Maxon said. The crowd cheered and I smiled at him.

"You always know how to fix things." I whispered into his ear. He smiled and took my hand as we walked offstage. There were entertainers and speakers coming on next.

The fundraiser was done, and it was late-afternoon. Maxon and I were walking down the streets to my old house.

"I haven't been here since Christmas." I said as we walked in the door. Everything was the same, all the furniture was still there. I walked by the mantle and ran my hand along, collecting dust on my fingers. It was never dusty when we lived in that house. I walked into my old room and went straight for my violin. I wasn't allowed to take it to the palace during the Selection and I hadn't been here to take it back.

"Could you play something?" Maxon asked, smiling.

I nodded and picked up my violin and propped it under my chin. I picked up my bow, and slowly ran it across the strings. I played more, and felt at home with each note. My violin was comforting and familiar. After I was done, I looked at Maxon, who was smiling.

"You never cease to amaze me with your talent." he said. I smiled and put the violin back in it's case and picked it up. We walked through the rest of the house and decided to sleep there for the night. I grabbed a pair of old pyjamas from my closet and Maxon and I crawled under the covers of my bed.

"So, this is home." Maxon said after he turned the light off.

"This is home." I replied.