Chapter Five : The Vault

"Sebastian, your silence is deafening from here."

Sebastian looked up from his lunch plate in the Great Hall and glared at his blind friend next to him. "I thought you said I talked too much?" he retorted.

"You do," Ominis responded. "However, I've grown accustomed to your endless ramblings, and I also know that when you stop it is because something is truly bothering you." He moved his head in his friend's direction. "Is it because of what happened in Defense Against The Dark Arts class?"

"What? No, of course not." That wasn't a lie. Sebastian wasn't really that upset. He was at first, but more so from humiliation at losing to a new student. But, it was a fair fight, and the new student was very good, so he couldn't really be too upset. He was also very glad that not many people were in the hall right now to gossip about it either.

"Then what is it?"

Sebastian sighed, unsure if he should even tell Ominis. In the end, he decided telling a lie would be worse than admitting fault, and he knew he couldn't keep it from his best friend for too long anyway. "I got detention."

Ominis had now moved his full face towards Sebastian. "How in Merlin's beard did you get detention already?"

"I was caught sneaking into the Restricted Section early this morning."

"Again? What were you looking for this time?"

"A cure."

Ominis pondered this. "I thought you said that the doctors at St. Mungo's could not find a cure."

"That doesn't mean there isn't one." Sebastian had snapped at this, a little harsher than he intended. "They've given up, Solomon has given up, but I refuse to give up on my sister."

"I'm not asking you to give up." Ominis had put his fork down to properly talk to his friend. "But please be careful with what you find down there. There's a lot of Dark Magic down there, I've been told. Also, I cannot continue to cover for you and get you out of trouble. One day it will get back to my father about how much I bail you out, and I'm not sure I want to earn his wrath again."

"I'm not asking you to bail me out. I earned this detention, I'll find a way out of it." In that same moment, the pair watched as their classmate, Imelda Reyes, sat in front of them and huffed, acting as if someone had just insulted her broom skills for the hundredth time. "What's with you?"

Imelda snapped. "Why is it that anytime someone needs a trip to Hogsmeade, I'm the first person they ask to escort them? First the new group of third years, now the new fifth year—"

Sebastian's head snapped up out of his potatoes. "Wait, what's this about a trip to Hogsmeade?"

"Professor Weasley asked if I could accompany the new fifth year to Hogsmeade to pick up some supplies," Imelda explained. "But I have practice tomorrow! I can't just drop everything and watch a muggleborn shop. How boring and pointless would that be?"

"Imelda Reyes, always the kindhearted gentlewoman," Ominis commented. He turned back towards Sebastian, feeling him getting up to leave. "Where are you going?"

Sebastian leaned towards his best friend, careful not to lose Professor Weasley as she made her way to leave the Great Hall. "I've found my way out of detention." Before Ominis could say anything further, Sebastian took off running to follow the deputy headmistress, determined to make this new plan of his work. "Professor Weasley!" he called after her. "May I have a word?"

Professor Weasley turned around to look at the student. "Hello, Mister Sallow," the red haired lady greeted. "I hope you are enjoying your first day back."