Chapter Thirty-Seven : Until The Stars Turn Cold

Four months later

"I am so glad the exams are finally over! I feel exhausted!" Poppy exclaimed as she stretched her arms above her head.

Natty shrugged. "I actually thought the exams were easier than they hyped it up to be."

"Your mother is a professor, so of course they took it easier on you."

"Absolutely not! If anything, they probably tried to make it harder for me."

Sabrina released her own sigh of relief. The O.W.L exams had been harder than she had expected, but she felt like she had actually done pretty well despite this being her first official year in magical training. Regardless of what the grades were, Sabrina was feeling very proud of herself.

Natty and Poppy continued ahead of her, stopping short when they came to the large doors to the Transfiguration Courtyard. "Oh Merlin, it's raining again," Natty frowned. "We'll have to go around."

Poppy smiled. "Afraid of rain, Natty?"

"Afraid of the cold."

"Alright fine, we'll go around. Sabrina?"

Sabrina was only half listening to her friends. She stood and watched a few first years playing in the puddles outside, admiring how carefree and happy they seemed as they laughed in the May rains.

In her sixteen years of life, Sabrina realized she had never once played in the rain. Such a thing would have been completely unthinkable at the orphanage. So unladylike, Sister Mary would have said.

"Sabrina, are you coming?" Poppy asked.

Sabrina turned, smiling before she handed her book bag to Natty. "I'm going to go dance in the rain."

"What?!" the Gryffindor exclaimed. But before she could argue further, Poppy had also flung her bag at Natty and grabbed Sabrina's hands to run outside. "You're both mad!"

The cool rain felt nice on Sabrina's warm skin, and she instantly tilted her head up to the sky taking it all in. She was beginning to feel wet and cold, but she felt alive.

Poppy took Sabrina's hands again, and they began to dance an improvised dance as Poppy hummed a lively tune. When they nearly slipped on some mud, they burst into uncontrollable laughter along with the first years.

"Wait for me!" they heard before the bright red hair of Garreth Weasley was jumping outside with them. Leander Prewett joined a moment later with a few other Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs. Even Imelda Reyes and some Slytherin girls came outside to dance as well. Before Sabrina knew it, almost half of the Fifth Year class was outside dancing and laughing in the rain.

Sabrina looked up from her wet hair and saw three familiar shapes standing by the doors watching her. Ominis had asked Sebastian a question, and the freckle-faced boys' response brought a small smile to the Gaunt boy's face. A moment later, Sebastian and Anne had joined in the crowd, whooping and hollering in joy along with the rest of the class.

"You are absolutely soaked!" Sebastian exclaimed to Sabrina over the crowd.

Sabrina smiled. "Isn't it great?"

Sabrina awoke the next morning with a head cold.

"I told you being in the rain would get you all sick," Ominis chastised as he handed her a cup of warm lemon tea.

Sebastian sniffled next to him. "It was worth it. It was so much fun. You're just jealous, Ominis."

"Oh yes, incredibly," Ominis said sarcastically. "I wish I had also woken up sneezing and coughing as much as you were last night. It's amazing your disgusting germs didn't reach me in my sleep."