Chapter Thirty-Six : The Resilient Daughter

"Miss Pryor, you need to eat."

Sabrina didn't move. She lay on her side, staring at the empty privacy screen covering her bed in the hospital wing and purposely ignoring Nurse Blainey's feeble attempts to get some food in her stomach.

Sabrina wasn't hungry. She wasn't really sure she was feeling anything.

"Miss Pryor, it's been three weeks."

"Go away."

"Professor Weasley isn't going to be happy when I tell her you still aren't moving or eating."

"Go away," Sabrina growled again.

Nurse Blainey huffed. "Miss Pryor, you are physically fine. Your arm has healed, your cuts are non-existent, there's no reason for you to still be here." Her tone softened. "Your friends have been asking about you. Miss Onai and Miss Sweeting, Mister Gaunt, Mister Sallow, why even his sister has been in here wanting to check in on you."

This briefly caught Sabrina's attention as she rolled over a little to see the nurse. "Sister?"

"Yes," Nurse Blainey said, seeming to be pleased she finally caught the girls' attention. "Miss Anne Sallow started back with us for the winter term. It's astonishing, really. She gets cursed by a goblin, then all of a sudden she returns after New Year's saying her curse has vanished. And you would have known that if you had been back to class or had even been back in your common room."

Sabrina sat and thought about the nurses' words, wondering why Anne suddenly decided to come back and how her curse could really be gone.

It didn't matter, Sabrina felt as she rolled back over. Weasley had found Sabrina that night, still screaming and crying over Fig's body. Sabrina couldn't really remember how she ended up in the hospital wing, but even though the physical pain from her twisted arm and her cuts from the goblin metal were gone, the numbness in her chest from the grief and mourning and guilt she felt hadn't left her.

I couldn't save him, Sabrina thought. How could I possibly go back to class and face that?

"Professor Weasley has been asking to see you, by the way. She keeps saying she has something for you." Nurse Blainey turned to walk away, but stopped and leaned back over Sabrina's bed. "If you don't get up and move, your agony will never heal. He wouldn't want this for you."

Sabrina wanted to argue, but she didn't even know what she would say. She knew Nurse Blainey was right, but it didn't make it any better.

Sabrina finally left the hospital wing on an early Saturday morning, purposely so that she wouldn't have to face anybody bombarding her in the halls for questions and well-intended concern. She quietly walked to the Transfiguration classroom and went inside, not surprised to see the familiar red-headed teacher already at her desk grading papers.

Professor Weasley looked up, doing a double take when she saw who it was. "Miss Pryor," she spoke, surprised. "My dear, how are you feeling?"

Still numb and dead inside, Sabrina thought. "I'm alright, Professor, thank you."

Professor Weasley gave her a gentle smile as she stood up. "Come into my office, and I'll make you some tea," she said, motioning to the door next to her. "I've been wanting to see you for a while anyway. I'm glad you were able to leave the hospital finally, Nurse Blainey said you were taking a while to heal properly."

Professor Weasley's office was surprisingly cluttered and filled with random knick-knacks that Sabrina couldn't even begin to sort if she tried. As she sat down across from Professor Weasley at her desk, she couldn't help but look around at everything. From pocket watches to mirrors to little toys, Sabrina finally noticed the one thing in common. "Are these all muggle things?"